RI Auto Show - No Liberty! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

RI Auto Show - No Liberty!

I went to the auto show here in RI and was totally surprised to find that they didn't have the Liberty. They did manage to have the Dakar there. I talked to the guy and asked why they didn't bring the Liberty and he didn't know, but didn't really care much cause he said it's a piece of crap. He said that it's not getting good reviews at all. He didn't have much info on the Dakar. He's doing a write up on the comments he recieves and said he'd put in some things I mentioned. I told him about all of us Jeepers online that really like it(atleast I've heard most you do). He said to goto jeep.com and send some e-mails of praise on the Dakar and see what happens. I'm gonna right one. Anyone else that thinks the Dakar is the way Jeep should be heading, and not the Liberty, should write a few e-mails too. It was just funny to see a guy reprisenting Jeep bashing the Liberty. He thought they were pretty far off the mark with it.

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 07:01 PM
Old Hand

Re: RI Auto Show - No Liberty!

I just got my latest copy of 4wd & sport utility and they did a review on the Liberty. They must be getting paid off to write the kind of crap they did. It's ironic that a mag that covers the hardest core 4 wheeling would give that thing a thumbs up. I guess compared to other vehicles that are similar (rav4, etc) I don't know how it could be any worse than those, but why try and say it fits right in with the other Jeeps.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 10:55 PM

I think the Jeep Liberty is ugly as sin. That front end/grill/headlight area just really throws it off. The rest is tolerable, barely. I think we might just have to accept IFS it is the future for most rigs and probably fits what most people want out of a SUV. All the mags are the same when it comes to new vehicle reviews. They never say anything bad about them for fear of losing the ad dollars of that car maker. In the last fourwheeler the editorial is about wimp utes and they say how they will never feature so called suv's that only have a single speed transfer case ie all wheel drive. Yet a few pages later they have a several paragraph write up on the new Toyota SUV with all wheel drive?! You can't really rely on them to be really objective. If a vehicles sucks, they'll just turn it into a positive by saying it is a great on road vehicle etc! The Dakar is the stretched 4 door Wrangler right? If so I think that rig is cool, would've been a better replacement to the Cherokee than that ugly as# Liberty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You haven't seen crap until you see the new Ford Escape. That thing is an embarassment to Ford and to the entire SUV community. HOWEVER......you need to keep in mind that to ninety percent of the urban-on-the-pavement SUV buyers, it is a "mental" thing, and off-road does not even enter the picture. Some time ago, a guy posted about seeing a Cherokee owner who had NO IDEA that he had a 2WD Cherokee. He just stubbornly insisted that it was "All Wheel Drive", and the poster could see that it had a straight blank tube front axle. So as long as the buyers don't know anything, crap will fill the bill, and the profits will be greater. Heck, you could sell SUVs that had FAKE FWD and ninety percent of the buyers would never even notice, I guarantee it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:38 AM
chasejeep7

Ford Escape -- LOL. . .

I saw the Liberty at the Detroit show. They were saving it for that show and that's probably why they didn't have it at yours.

I don't know which board you were on, but I think there's a 2% that have expressed any positive opinion to it. Check out the Mid-size Cherokee BBS -- it's a party in there about the liberty -- a party for the death of the XJ.

I have to say the Liberty is slowly growing on me. I still don't like it, but hey, it went through the Rubicon. If it couldn't do that, I would never consider it a Jeep. Yes, IFS sucks, but look at the XJ -- it's unibody. Back then everyone was skeptical of a unibody going off-road -- maybe Jeep can kill the myth that IFS is not as strong as a solid axle. They say the body and "frame" is 90% stiffer. All the magazine reviews are positive. So I don't know. I can't stand the tallness of the windows -- that's what gets me.

If you want to see disgrace, check out the Jeep Willy concept. They just blew the whole "Just Enough Essential Parts: idea, but they use it in the campaign for it.

Sad. KJ = Killed Jeep

See Jayme ASAP
<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:41 PM

lets just hope jeep pulls their heads for out of their a$$es before the go and [email protected] with the SWB jeep. Its been their main stay and the thing that has has got them through thick and thin. If they go and royally [email protected] with the SWB it will be the end.

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would have not been that upset if when they redesigned the Grand Cherokee they put IFS up front. Maybe upsed, but not surprised. It would actually make sense, b/c of the large country club croud that they were courting when they market it. You know, all those "Motor Trend" reading people who only care that it rides like a car and think that off road consists of parking on the grass. Have you seen the billboad add "At home in diamonds and firs"? I love the current design of the Grand, and hope to be able to afford one at some time. I just got choked up when I heard that they did it to the XJ, b/c you see so many offroad.

Guess those Grands will be heavily developed now.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.</font color=green>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went to the jeep.com site and checked out the live camera shots they had. I can't see that they took the Dakar to that show, I wonder why?? Where could I find a picture of the Dakar??
Did you see the Willys??? Man, you talk about a wild looking machine!! Military tread tires, seats with holes in them, funky looking dash and shifters too.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:03 PM
brendan

CJDave, motorweek loved the escape! They showed a clip of it leaving the ground over a little berm on a double track road! not defending it, ive never seen one. thought you might like the idea of one airborne! brendan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode