Question on Accel super coil - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Question on Accel super coil

My brother in law would like to put an accel super coil on his 258. All of the ingintion is stock. His idea is with more power going through the cap and rotor there is less of a chance of watering out. My question is will it hurt anything or just wear the cap and rotor out faster.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Question on Accel super coil

It won't hurt a thing. Not even the cap and rotor. He will notice a power gain. However He will be much better off doing the TR upgrade and going with the TFI coil. It will only cost alittle more, but he will be much happier.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the info. He has never had a problem with the ingintion except for the stupid push on connector on the coil rusting up. I have the accel coil so it wont cost him a dime except for maybe dinner or something. I agree the TR upgrade is better but his idea is if it works leave it.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:14 AM
Addict

Just my .00005 cents worth but I don't think those "super coils" are anything more that a standard oil filled coil with nice paint/stickers. I put one on my 304 w/stock ignition system in good working order and I did not notice any improvements or advantage, except my wallet being $35.00 lighter (I was much less educated than). Anyway, if it's free it won't hurt anything but don't expect it to do much other than add some color under your hood (mine matched the yellow color of my Jeep : )
I recently did the Teamrush/TFI Upgrade and saw almost a 30% increase in rpms when I punched the gas. Not sure exactly what this means but at least I saw a change. Sorry for the long-winded answer. Regards,

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400, 31" BFG AT's, TFI upgrade
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces, parts Jeep
"They can have my guns, but they'll have to take them bullets first."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i will say that i wouldn't pi$$ on an accel coil if it was on fire. i have had 3 and all three went bad. 2 were the standard super stock coils and the last was a super coil that literally blew up! i have used a standard coil, msd coil, and now a tfi coil and none have caused me any problems. maybe it was just a freak occurance that i got 3 bad ones but i doubt it. my opinion is stay away from accel coils.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/working on 1tons and 38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode