OEM steering box like AGR's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

OEM steering box like AGR\'s?

Quite some time ago someone mentioned an OEM steering box application that could be fitted to a CJ which performed like the variable ratio AGR Super Box 2. Is that person still around or does someone else know what it was? Gearing up for some steering upgrades on my CJ-7 including a new steering shaft (installed a steering brace over the weekend).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 03:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OEM steering box like AGR\'s?

I don't know if the ratios are the same, but the PS boxes found in full-size Jeeps are variable ratio. Probably don't have the larger sector shaft that the AGR box has.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 06:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

What about the " larger piston" they keep talking about?? I am also interested in this and may like to get a hydraulic assist setup. I have e-mailed a guy who drilled and tapped his steering box so he can use his existing box with a regular hydraulic ram from the local tractor supply house. It seems feasible and a whole lot cheeper than the AGR deal. Whatcha think? Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,38" Hawgs, 4" SOA, soon Detroits...
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 08:06 PM
FlMudCJ

If *ANYBODY* has any reliable information on how to do this... Post it!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'm up for that... have to re-seal my box anyway, why not???

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I forgot who posted this, but I thought it was appropriate for this message string about steering boxes. Here it is:

<font color=red>"Yeeha! The steering is fixed.
It started out with a drag rod end replacement...because the original was way loose...next thing I knew, the steering box was shot...worn beyond repair. NAPA wanted $252 for a replacement Jeep box, and it would take up to 2 weeks to special order it...I tried to explain that I just needed a Saginaw box, that there were a bunch of 800 series that would work, if they would only look in the box they'd see, but their computer told them otherwise. After reading my newest 4wheel and off road, I went down there and asked for a power steering box off of a 1974 Camaro. I got a Saginaw 800 with the "76" casting (heavier bearings, etc.), with the proper 4 bolt mounting pattern, the small jeep power steering shaft end, the 4 way keyed sector shaft, and the large SAE compression fittings (with a different size for pressure and return lines)... In short, the exact box I wanted. Cost? Well, this box was used on millions of GM cars (as well as jeeps, mind you) and they had it in stock, pulled it off the shelf, and I was on my merry way for just over $100. Slapped her in, added my steering box brace, and flushed the system...Voila! The only other slop I could find in the whole steering system was just a nuggie of freeplay in the steering shaft, where the sliding joint is (where the inner piece from the steering column meets the outer piece from the steering box). Well, I wanted it to still be collapseable and all, but I didn't want the slop, so I welded a thin bead around the inner piece, and then ground it down so it fit inside the outer sleeve nice and tight. The steering is fixed, and for now, all is well with the jeep. Wait a minute, I really didn't just say that...and I'm fervently knocking on wood. Anyhow, if you need a new box, and you have the pre-o-ring hoses, try the 1974 camaro box."</font color=red>

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a wagonneer box on my cj. I tried to rebuild it and got in over my head. Anybody have any ideas for links to tec sites that might help me figure out where it wrong.

cj7,258,t5,dana 300,44's w 4.56's detroit and lockrite,33 12-50's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:09 AM

I've been looking for the same post. Somebody tore apart an agr and was talking about the subltle differances between that and another box. I've searched and searched and I couldn't find it. I think it was six or seven months ago. later ken

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Kahuna, that was FarmJeep...he lives a little ways up the road from me.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Okay, I went back and tried the search again. That thing works weird (at least for me). When I type in the number of results per page, that's all the results I get, I don't get multiple pages. So, I set it for 700 and found the info. I put the info in a text file and saved it...here's a cut & paste:

CJ-8/5.2Mag: In '81-'86 CJs, the Hummer gearbox is a direct fit, it has the large piston and variable ratio (same as the AGR). "80 and earlier will need new O-ring hoses and a power steering pump outlet fitting. Some surplus stores carry Military Humvee parts, Hummer dealership mechanics are a good source, usually they have a bad pitman seal (easily changed) but they just put on a new box under warranty. Ask one to save one for you if you can, they usually get chucked.

Make sure you match up the hose fittings, '80 and earlier use std thread flare fittings, '81 and up use metric o-rings, the GM cars probably are similar in their split. Count the number of splines on the input too, you may find one that will fit your shaft perfectly. The stock gear has a slow ratio of 17.5-1.
I recently found that the steering gear off the Hummers will bolt perfectly to the '81 and up CJs with no mods, the Currie ent. steering brace fit too. It has the 13-16 to 1 variable ratio, large piston, HD case, large input spline and the same metric fittings and pitman shaft. The Hummer P.S. pump has the same pressure and volume specs as the CJ pump, so you won't need to change that. It would fit the earlier CJs if you changed the hoses and the fitting in the back of the pump. You might be able to find one at a surplus store, especially if you live near a base. Hope this helps, good luck!

BigMan: What you want to do is go to the bone yard and look at newer camaro's. On the box cover if some with the better suspension there will be "hs" stamped on it. This is basically the same as a quick ratio agr box. Monte carlo ss steering boxes were variable ratio boxes which would also be good. Any of the camaro boxes would be better than the jeep box.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepskate,
the box described in the post by Kahuna is the large piston, variable ratio box with the heavier casting and the larger bearings (distinguished by the "76" cast into the side of it). That's what I've got in FarmJeep, and it's worked perfectly. I'm not as up on the Hummer boxes---can't help ya' there...but the Camaro box has the variable ratio, large piston, heavy casting, large bearings, is a direct bolt in, and has the proper fittings for your application...the same fittings as were on that p/s pump I obtained from 'ya. As far as differences between that box and the AGR box...once again, I'm not entirely certain. Perhaps AGR could help you figure that one out, I'm certain they would explain the reason why theirs costs a couple hundred more...

As a sidenote, I'm going to pick up my 4" lift springs today...I plan on following "Jeepskate's guide to tuning lift springs for max flex." If you need any help with the p/s box, let me know...I'm sure I can get the NAPA part number for ya. They have 'em at the Napa on N. Aurora Rd.

Deano

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode