Let's talk Dana 60's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Let\'s talk Dana 60\'s

I've either have to get a new 4.88 R&P for my AMC 20 w/Mosers & LockRite To match the used Currie 44 front I have or start looking for a dana 60 rear.
Can't shell out for a crate Currie RR right now ...
I did a little homework and saw that the rear from a 1969-73 Jeep J20 had a 60 with 35 splines, 1.5" dia shafts and 5 on 5.5" lugs.
Is that the best one to start looking for to go into the rear of my CJ?
Others?

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Let\'s talk Dana 60\'s

John last I knew the deepest you can go with a 20 now is 4.56, 4.88s haven't been available for a long time. BTW, you still got that other front 44, if so maybe we can work out something.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 02:53 PM
cj7jeep

I picked up picked up a 5 on 5.5 lug d60 in a parts trade. Elusive had all kinds of info about these axles. I believe bearings and maybe brake parts are pretty pricey for these axles. It was too narrow to match the d44 i was going to run up front, so i gave it to a co-worker to put under his 67 Camaro.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 04:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yep.. i have about everything for that d60... its what i am running.. mine is out of a 73 j10.. it was the 3/4 ton option for a 1/2 ton truck.. but i will say this.. its wide.. full size wide.. i have a front d44 out of a 78 wagoneer.. and i had to cut the rear d60 down 3" to match it.. and with that being said.. the diff is also offset to the passenger side.. cutting it down 3" solved that problem also.. jeep did this so they could use different tranny/trasfer case combos in the same frame..
early 60's fords also had this option.. usually in delivery type trucks.. or the flatbed types.. the ford version is narrower.. probably about the size mine is now.. and the diff is center.. i have a friend who has one of them.. been buggin him for months to sell that to me.. hehehehe..
and yes the parts are pricey and rare.. but its one sweet axle.. if you can find one..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Brad, Superior has started making 4.88's for the 20 so my option is open there thank goodness.
As for the spare 44, you wanna trade your first, or second born son for it?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Patrick (JeepGod)...
Would you mind posting or sending me a pic of your D60 to help me ID one?
Please?? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 10:29 PM

Is this the one your looking for?

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/convaxle/d60.html

'79 CJ-7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

By Jove, I think you have it, Chris!
Thanks.

JAF
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 04:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

thats the one.. my came with 12x2" brakes.. and they fit inside a 15" wheel.. barely.. but it fits.. good luck in finding one.. im still looking for another.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]..
like stated in that article.. it will be a normal looking d60.. but a semi-floater.. like an amc 20 with one piece shafts.. and on the top in huge numbers will be 60-2.. then on the other two spots.. rear lower passenger corner.. it will just have 60 stamped into it.. mine is from a 73.. from ny.. so it was plenty rusty.. and you could still see these features..
http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Inexpensive D60 for you wide track CJ

Here's what I did. I think you will find it helpful.

I picked up a Scout II Dana 44 rear, removed the axles (30 spline and same diameter as D60) and brake backing plates. Then I cut the D44 housing ends off 10" at the flanges.

Next I got a 1977 F250 D60 rear (30 spline axles). Note how far the D60 axles protrude into the carrier assembly. Remove the full floating axles, backing plates, and cut housing tubes at the edge of each spring perch.

Next, I took the D60 housing down to my local machine shop to mill the inside of the D60 housing to fit the D44 axle tube inside. The machine shop also milled the D60 housing tube to keep the D44 tube inserts centered. Cost under $500.

Next assemble the D44 ends w/ backing plate and axle into D44 tube end. Install D44 tube end w/ axle into D60 housing. Verify the axle protrudes the same amount into the D60 carrier the same amount as the original floating axles did. You can slid the D44 tube ends in and out to get the axles' depth right.

Install housing into Jeep and set pinion angle. Then set wheel cylinders on backing plate at top dead center to facilitate bleeding them later. If you don't have the brake bleeders centered, it will be tough to bleed all the air out of the brake system. Next, remove the axles and weld the D44 tube ends into the D60 housing. Note: Keep the heat to a minimum to avoid warping the D60 housing. reinstall axles, wheels, and brakes and enjoy your new D60 rear. It will be 58" wide - 1" wider per side than a wide track CJ.

I have more details on this on the forum at www.froadin.com under "See what I've been up to." I have more exact measurements on the cuts there.

I haven't welded my D44 tubes in yet b/c busy moving into new house.

I will take lots of pictures and write up an article so Hammer at Froadin.com can post an article on this swap.

I live in Lancaster County PA. Feel free to drop by if you want to see how I did it.

Finally, the legal boilerplate. I take no responsibility for anyone copying what I did and having a bad result. The above is merely for thought. The centering of the axles in the tube ends is critical and not for the do-it-yourselfer. Machining the D44 tube O.D. to fit into the D60 housing tube is unsafe - not enough metal remains onthr D44 tube. Instead, you should machine the D60 tubes I.D. to fit the D44 tubes O.D.

I will post how my D60 project turns out after I put a few thousand miles on it. I think it will be fine.
-Drew M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode