Waggie pitman arm on YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

Waggie pitman arm on YJ

Does anyone know if a mid 80s waggie pitman arm will fit on a stock YJ steering box. And if so does anyone sell a dropped waggie pitman arm. I seem to remember that is bolts right on, but now I am hearing different. I need a longer pitman arm to improve my turning radius.

TIA

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] MNT [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Waggie pitman arm on YJ

Skyjacker makes a drop pitman for their waggie and J10 kits(pn-JA350). Someone else may make one as well(Trailmaster or Tuff Country), so you may want to check around. It is supposed to have the same demintions on the steering box end as the YJ box(radius and splines). But the waggie arm is longer. Last time I checked http://www.ntwonline.com(National Tire and Wheel) kept them in stock.

Most people have said that they have clearance problems between that pitman arm(at least the non drop one) and their track bar. I know of no one currently running the drop waggie arm. You may even have to cut off the track bar bracket.

Last time I looked at my waggie I took measurements and transferred them over to my YJ. I will have to remove both track bar(already gone) and bracket.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, the waggie pitman arm WILL fit a YJ steering box. The differences are that it is longer (will give you more radius), is offset differently (which works fine with waggy steering linkages), and has a larger bore for the rod end (which again works correctly with wagoneer linkages). The other Poster is right that most people using waggy axles and steering have problems with interference, and end up having to do something to get around that issue. I'm not sure from your post if you have waggy axles, yj axles, or something else. Whether or not you will have interference will depend on what axles/knuckles you are running. Keep in mind that you can't run this pitman arm with the stock YJ linkage due to the larger bore in the waggy pitman arm - it will spline onto the steering box, but the YJ drag link will have a different (smaller) sized rod end that bolts to the pitman arm.

I am not aware of any dropped waggy arms, although the other poster did list some.

I have waggy axles and steering linkages, and waggy pitman arm. I did a few mods to get it to work without interfering, but I'm going high clearance steering with chev knuckles due to I'm going SOA.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

Yeah - I am running the front end from a mid 80s Waggie. Steering, knuckles, everything. So I will now attempt to find a dropped pitman arm to match my YJ on (but longer) I dumped the track bar awhile ago, so that shouldn't be a problem. Is there interference anywhere else?

Thanks for your good info.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] MNT [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode