Tired of it.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tired of it....

Ok, My 84 CJ7 (auto w/I6)Jeep is taking its break for the winter....gives me time to gather thoughts and plans for what is next on the project list....
Here is my concern...I want to spend more time driving (and wheeling) than I do playing with the Carb and miles of Vaccuum lines and various other oddities they decided to throw under the hood.... I love the Jeep and love to work on it, I am just so tired of the underhood mess....I would love to just start over. I have a 64 impala that I turn wrenches on and love the fact that it is sooooo simple. Any thoughts? I am sure there are other guys in this same boat, I wouldnt mind doing a swap, I just hear horror stories of different things that wont fit, or work together etc....

<font color=red>84 CJ7 / 258
95 Pathfinder XEV6</font color=red>
'nothin' special, but lots of fun!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 01:06 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Tired of it....

If you want reliability for the ole Jeep there are several ways to acomplish it:

1. Fuel injection:
a. Howell, my personal favorite.
b. Mopar
c. Turbo City
d. and the one I can't ever remember.

2. Install a Carb:
a. Weber
b. Fomoco 2100
c. Others that I have no idea of...

3. Ignition updates:
a. MSD
b. Jacobs
(Boo... Hiss...)
c. GM HEI, my personal favorite!
d. TR FOMOCO TFI, the Forum's favorite.

So if you really want to get those miles of vacuum lines, switches, electrical harnesses stripped off and go simple, it can be done. All it takes is a little bit of time, money, parts, research and someone who's gone before! Except for the time and money, you've got all you need right in this forum. Pick your poison and start picking brains. Soon you'll be overwhelemed with help. Remember that you're not the first to want to drive the Jeep rather than work on it. Surgery on the CJ should be elective in 99% of the cases. These aren't helicopters, 1 hour of flying, 2 hours of maintance. But it's up to you to make it that way. We're all here eager to help in any way we can... a free part here... a little encouragement there, here an idea, there an idea and pretty soon you're riding in your own style. Heck, what's ya got to loose?

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 01:10 PM

What are the emissions laws like in VT? Find out what you can get away with.
I have a '79 CJ-7 and here in MA I am exempt from emissions.

I have a 304, all emissions removed. The only vacume hoses I have are to the vac advance, brake booster, and pcv. It came with a delco points distributor...which worked fine but I put the pertronix electronic conversion in (2 wires, no computer). This makes for an extremly easy engine to work on and troubleshoot.
An AMC V8 is the easiest V8 swap in a CJ since all the parts you need are factory. They are plentiful in new england. You just need to decide if your tranny is up to it. And you need to find out what emissions stuff you need on there to pass inspection.

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Currently I think they only sniff tailpipes of vehicles made pre 1995.

<font color=red>84 CJ7 / 258
95 Pathfinder XEV6</font color=red>
'nothin' special, but lots of fun!'
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 03:26 PM

I feel your pain.. I have 2 '84 CJ's!! The 7 has a Weber and HEI. Those 2 mods got rid of most of the nasty wires and vacuum hoses, and it runs better than it ever did with more power.
The 8 is getting a complete engine swap from a 99 4.0 Cherokee. You have tons of options with what you can do with your jeep, just have to decide how long you plan on keeping it, how much power you want out of it, and how much you wanna spend.
In my opinion, the I6 has plenty of power and especially torque down low where you need it for MOST people.
Bob in Ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode