D44 ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

D44 ?

I have stumbled across a D44 from a 78 Chevy. Actually a whole drivetrain, but what would be involved in changing the steering to a crossover style. Would it be as easy as changing knuckles from another axle? but which one. Point me in a direction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 05:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: D44 ?

first off.. are you sure its a d44.. and not a 10 bolt.. they stopped putting them in mid 77.. it is possible.. just asking.. second.. does the top of the knuckle have a flat spot on it.. with 4 bolts holding a plate on it? if it does those are the knuckles you want.. most of the early 70's chevy d44 are like this.. just not 100 % sure on the years..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure, let me check it and get back!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepgod: My mistake, it is a 74 model, and a 44, it has the flat top knuckle and 4 bolts holding the arm! Now what?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 07:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you are in luck.. what H8 has done.. and a few others.. and i will be tackling this in a few weeks.. is.. you have to either make or buy brackets that bolt onto the flat top knuckle.. under the top plate... H8 says he gets them for $100 per side and that is just the bracket.. parts mike sells the entire kit.. something like $300.. not sure what it all has.. what i am going to do is.. put the tires on.. and see how far i have to bring the point of that new bracket in.. and how long it needs to be.. (you have to do this with it under the vehicle.. with the springs and tires on the axle and weight of vehicle) so you can figure out exactly what you want the bracket to look like and where the holes go... then im going to have a machine shop here mill it out.. and the holes have to be tapered.. ie. the ones on the top of the knuckle have a cone pressed down into there.. you need that in the bracket so it will remain tight... then.. im going to fab up a new tie rod bar and drag link out of some solid steel.. and thread the ends for a tie rod coupler.. and thread them on.. with tie rod ends..
this will put all of it up above your springs..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Jeepgod, now I have an idea in my head and thats a scary thought!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 04:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].. you didnt get it from me.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode