OT: Fair Chase Hunting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT: Fair Chase Hunting

Since a lot of you folks are hunters and/or gun owners, I figured I'd mention this here. There is a growing controversy between the purist fair chase hunters and OHV assisted hunting. I spent quite a bit of time last week dealing with this subject, there is an enlightening article on it in the Land Use Section tonite at:
http://www.off-road.com/land/fair_chase.html

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 11:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: OT: Fair Chase Hunting

Reminds me of something I once heard about making hunting truly fair by taking the hunter's clothing away and giving him only a knife so that the Deer would be on a level playing field. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, this does bring up interesting questions. We always talk about our favorite "trail ride", implying that we are confining ourselves to established routes. These routes, though threatened by the "maintained road" issues, are accepted, planned out and followed by many riders without much deviance. What this gentleman seems to be against is careless driving through wilderness without regard for what they destroy. Think of it this way...I have little problem with you or any other person using my driveway to turn around. Its obviously intended for vehicles that require such conviences. Now suppose somebody came along and just ran through my lawn to turn around. How would you feel if you had huge tracks through you lawn? National Parks are like our national lawns, places where we can go to get away and enjoy our sports, but not at the destruction of said lawns.

I think that there should be more cooperation with BLM, NPS, and whoever cares to build more designated trails. Without cooperation, things only get worse.

Thanks Brad for the thought provoking post.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 10:55 AM
Can't Get Enough

Brad, I have not seen your letter, but I agree completely with the letters in the land use area. I have been a bowhunter education instructor for the past 23 years. I have seen the steady switch from a hunt philosophy to a kill. In Montana it is illegal to chase or harass wildlife with a vehicle. But, with an enforcement density as low as Montana has, violations are common and widely practiced. Most of Montana's public land has restrictions on it during hunting season, and, I agree totally with the reasoning. I fight with the best of them to keep our lands open for multiple use, but I also advocate an approach that allows all users their opportunity while not prevent anyone. A more realistic and balanced approach.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Snow(Skiing that is)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My point with the article is to make people think outside the box they usually think in when it comes to the subjects of OHVs and hunting. I hope I have accomplished that with some folks, at least.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 11:39 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>I found this passage to be of particular interest:

</font color=purple>"Apparently there seems to be some communication gap about this between your outfit's good intent and what's actually happening on the ground."<font color=purple>

Looks to me like the communication gap (that you're attempting to close) exists between OHV enthusiasts & "fair chase" hunters. What both sides of this previously non-existent argument missed is that none of us advocate the kind of unethical and illegal activities described - during hunting season or otherwise. As both a hunter & OHV enthusiast, I've found myself in the same situation as Mr. Josaitis. And let me assure you I take a dim view of "ATV" hunters. Now, my definition may not quite match his however. To me, the guys who use their ATV's as an excuse to sleep late & go in early, and end up making a lot of noise & ruckuss on the way to & from their stands (even if staying on legal roads) during peak game movement hours are very irritating. But, I have no problem with people who use ATV's and/or trucks to carry themselves deeper into better territory and/or to recover game - provided they stay on legal roads & don't drive around all over the place during hunting hours (going back to camp for lunch is fine). I do that myself - 'course once there I get out of my truck & hunt on foot (my favorite trick is to find a particularly nasty, but legal road that leads up to Wilderness land. That puts me several miles beyond most of the ATV's & Trucks even before I get out to walk). I too have carried an elk bit by bit out on my shoulders, but because I chose to hunt where ATV's & Trucks are not allowed. Things may be different where Mr. Josaitis hunts, but in my experience I've not found any ATV's in Wilderness areas. That could be one solution for his personal problem. But, I agree that we somehow need to clean up the illegal off-road activity that takes place in non-Wilderness areas. I guess I don't have any answers, but I do have some opinions [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:50 AM
Can't Get Enough

Tex, I agree with you, I hunt very much the same way.

I DO see extensive illegal use of ATV's in closed areas, my pet peave. I dislike with a passion spending 2 hours walking in in the dark only to have some idiot on an ATV drive through the park I am hunting, just before daylight. A park that is 3 miles from any open trail. I enjoy HUNTING, and the thrill of being out there trying my abilities and knowledge against the animals. Actually, I enjoy an excuse to be outside, in the mountians. Killing is not required. Something that a lot of hunters don't realize.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Snow(Skiing that is)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been a traditional bowhunter for a long time - couple of years ago won a hog hunt as a prize at the TX TBOT shoot. Turns out it was a hunt in a 40 acre pen. I passed on this prize - still have the certificate. Have heard of "hunters" shooting animals in corrals. Next they will catch the animals and put blinkers on their horns? Disabled hunters? - maybe they should have differant rules - Road Hunters - They can kiss my ***. Course thats just my opinion.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:42 PM
Addict

Here in CT handicapped hunters may hunt from an ATV with a special permit..... for all others it's illegal even to carry a loaded gun in any motor vehicle.

I too use my Jeep to get deeper into the woods to find a good spot, but then I always walk quite a ways further, away from the [legal] trail.

-Dana

Balance the budget--declare politicians a game species.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode