Mounting drilling speakers into ammo box - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Mounting drilling speakers into ammo box

How do I get holes in my ammo box to put speakers in?They aren't that big and I want to put one in to hook up to my cb that I put in there earlier.I don't have much else but a drill.
Thanks!
Joey

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Mounting drilling speakers into ammo box

Well being in the Marine Corps, I have seen my share of ammo cans. The metal isn't that thick, but it's sturdy. I would suggest that you drill a hole to start, then use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade on it. Make sure you clamp the box down some how so the box doesn't jump around and you cut your finger off. Other than that, I would say that's it. You could use a torch but that's overkill don't ya think? he he I was thinking of putting a large ammo can in mine for a center console. Not sure how it would look. If anyone else has picks let me know. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

CaliCJ7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A drill and jig saw would be ideal. If you don't have a jig saw and don't want to buy one you could use a hack saw. Go to Wal-Mart and buy one that looks like a knive (not a regular hack saw). Drill some holes and use the hack saw to cut it out. It will not be as easy as a jig saw, but could be done for cheap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could also use a metal cutting blade on a grinder. I cut alot of rust out of my tub this way. I will be faster but you'll have to clean it up more than the other methods. Also may not work well unless you have a square or rectangle mounting plate. If its small and round a hole saw that size would be perfect. I love excuses to buy new tools.

K-16
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well CaliCJ7, I do not have any pictures of my previous ride but I had a 20mm ammo box stuffed between the seats of a 94 YJ and it worked out great(a little on the low side if your tall though). I would recommend though drilling a few holes in the bottom and bolting it down (Ok it was my first mod and who knew that that drop off was that big[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]) Also Joey you might want to try stamping the shape out depending on how big of a hole you need.
Oh well my two cents worth.

John
Damn the Mud!! Full speed ahead!!!
http://www.Marylandmudbugs.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

I've got a jigsaw but I don't have any metal blades. I'll have to go buy some later.The ammo box looks alright..it works well for me because I wouldnt have anywere else to store my stuff!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 05:36 PM

there was a post on this about two months ago. Someone said that there was a way to put a lock on the the ammo can. I cant remeber whatever happened about it though. I think the same guy said he had a pic but he never posted one. Also it was brought up that some Hurc in the inside will prevent alot of rust from forming. It would probally also make your speakers sound better since it would act as a sound deadener (sp?). It would be kinda like a real speaker box then.

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ammo cans are great and real practical for our Jeepin' needs. And if you get them fresh off the range, their seal in the lids are intact and their water proof. You could perhaps drill a few small holes where the speakers are and then mount them inside so that the sound will come out through the holes. Then you might not have to use the speaker grills. I plan on putting one of the small cans under the hood for small parts. I already have a 20mm can for center console.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 11:43 PM

Here's a link to a couple pictures of my ammo box center console for those that were looking for pictures:
http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/pictures.htm
I bolted a little loop thingy on the front to secure a padlock to when it is closed. I made the rear clip into a solid hinge that is welded on and I put a nylon limiting strap to limit the lid travel.
If anyone was interested, I might even be able to whip a few together.
it is a tight fit between CJ seats, so I don't think it would work in a YJ.
It has TONS of room inside, it is secure, lockable and water tight.

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thats a huge ammmo box!I have the small one.How did you make the front loop?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode