Copying Jeep Manual? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Copying Jeep Manual?

OK, so I have here the 1978 Jeep Technical Service Manuals, all 3 volumes, and 2 supplements. I have looked through them and cannot find a statement regarding copying. It does say "Copyright 1977" on the inside cover, but I don't know what that means. I know there are a few of you out there that would probably like a copy, and I am considering copying them for others. So my quesitons are:

1) Can I copy them?
2) If I can, who would like a copy?

I am not looking to make any money on this. I was going to take them to Staples, and let them copy the books, then bind them. There are about 1,200 pages in the books, so I'm esitmating the cost to be in the neighborhood of $50, but will only charge what the actual cost is.

There are 3 volumes and the covers and tables of contents can be seen at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...722&a=11006955.

<font color=red>Update</font color=red>: I just won the bid on a 1982 Technical Service Manual, same thing as the other 3 manuals, only in one bound book.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 09:17 PM

Re: Copying Jeep Manual?

Hmmm, so you're the one who keeps outbidding me? I've tried twice to get an 82 manual, obviously with no success. The only place I can find to buy it is way more than I want to pay. I would be interested in the conclusions you come to regarding the copyright, and also interested in getting a copy.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://members.fortunecity.com/patrol14/index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1. To copy them legally, you'd have to contact the publisher and obtain written permission to do so. Are they going to come after you for copying it a few times? Doubtful....What they don't know... I'd keep the official communication on whether or not you're going to do this on e-mail or some slightly less public mode of communication--especially in regard to payment.

2. Me. [email protected] Let me know when you get serious.

Deano

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Good point, if anyone is interested, E-mail me off-line and we'll discuss it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 06:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] E-mailing......e-mailing.......e-mailing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 07:52 AM
Way Outta Control

Just in case anyone want's to understand the copywrite law in regards to "copying", pardon the working put, but I thought it best to include it here and leave no one with excuse. That's loosely translated, I'll be happy to visit y'all it jail when they catch you. However, I would like to suggest a different medium rather than hard copy.

For my own use, of course, I scan manuals and articles to Disk. Then I move the disk files to CD-Rom. If I need something, I usally look it up on hardcopy, and then make a working paper copy on the laserprinter and take it to the garage. That way my manual will stay in failry good shape. I don't have to wonder what that picture is trying to tell me becasue there ain't no wheel bearing grease sticking the pages together. The CD is inexpensive to create and with a minimum of care will out last the vehicle.

Ok... Lecture over... US Code to follow! Enjoy!

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE

United States Code
TITLE 17 - COPYRIGHTS
CHAPTER 1 - SUBJECT MATTER AND SCOPE OF COPYRIGHT

Sec. 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include -

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or
value of the copyrighted work. The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Well, I don't have a CD burner, but I do have disks. However, at roughly 1,200 pages, it'll take up a lot of space, and I have no idea as to how I'd put them together in a "book" format.

<font color=blue>Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include -

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or
value of the copyrighted work. The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.</font color=blue>

Since this is "not for profit", and is being used as a "teaching aid" (hey, we are trying to learn from it, why else would we have it), I would think an argument could be made allowing copying. Also, the manual is out of print, so the "potential market" is not hindered. I'm looking at making probably 5 copies, not 500. I don't think D/C is going to waste their time and money on some poor penniless schmuck that just wants to help his friends, without gaining any money for it.

I appreciate the insight though, any other thoughts on this? Of course, this is contingent that the copy house will even copy it and not want some sort of "Letter" from D/C approving them to do the copying. If they do, I'll probably nix the whole idea.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What you could do is put the manual in PDf format. It is what I have been trying to do with some of my manuals for the last few months. This way they are easily distributed and are smaller in size.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 09:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm interested in the '82. Is it for ALL Jeeps or just one model?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Both manuals are for ALL jeeps, very extensive in detail, with pictures, diagrams, and text.

What is the PDF format? I like <font color=blue>LEVE</font color=blue>'s idea of putting it on disk rather than bulky hardcopy as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode