TFI coil trouble, help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TFI coil trouble, help!

I have a friend that has a 1980 CJ-7, we put the TFI ignition upgrade on it a few months ago. Everything worked great until last week when he took the jeep on a 8 hour road trip to Iowa, 6 hours into the trip the jeep would shut down but only for a second or two then kick back on and keep running. The last couple of hours of the trip this problem got worse and worse until the jeep would just die but after about 10 minutes it would start and run for 30 minutes or so and do it again. He changed the coil, cap, rotor, Ign. module, and it ran good for a while then it fried the coil. Bought another coil and it fried that one within an hour. He noticed that the Tach wires were getting very hot and the green tach wire from the coil had melted. He replaced the green wire going to the coil but it still is making the tach wires under the dash hot.
By the way, this jeep has a factory 304 and TF-999 tranny in it if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 03:37 PM
FlMudCJ

Re: TFI coil trouble, help!

First thing that pops into my head is what is the condition of the much debated resistor wire? Was it removed when upgrading the TFI coil, or were all origonal wires left intact when the new coil was put in? I had the same problem manufacturing my harness without a resistor when upgrading from a pre-motorcraft ignition.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't hook up the resister wire, I remember not doing that. How did you hook yours up??? I didn't hook mine up on my jeep either but so far haven't had any troubles, ya think I should hook up a resister to it???
I looked on the inside of his distributor cap and with about 15 minutes of running the crazy thing looks like it has been on there for 10 years with all the wear makes on the brass prongs inside.
How did you hook up a resister???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 04:25 PM
FlMudCJ

The resistor should be in the red positive wire going to the coil. I bought an equavilant ceramic resistor and put it inline, but the resistor wire is the better solution for several reasons TeamRush can explain. Regardless, it is more for the module than the coil, but the result seems to be that the coil burns out.

bigmudtire
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 07:00 PM
Veteran

i had exact same problem BOFORE doing the TR upgrade. tried replacing the ignition module, but no luck. finally melted off a bunch of wires. i chalked it up to a short somewhere in the wiring. put in new wires to replace the old and everything was OK. after it appeared to be ok, i did the TR upgrade, and everyhting seems ok .... knock on wood.

shawn

"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Related question.. whats the difference between the premium and the regular TFI coil from the Ford? Besides the cost of course?

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 07:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also beleive that your resistor wire is the problem. There is a short piece of wire that connects to the stock coil. I have included a schematic that may help.

Keith

[b]_o|||||o_
[]---o--[]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
http://keith.cj8.tripod.com
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-308178-tfi_schematic.jpg (37.5 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for all the help.
So does this mean that I need to get the resister wire and splice it back onto the red wire on the coil???
Just wanting to make sure before I go all out trying to find a resister wire. By the way, where would a person buy a resister wire???

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I remember correctly, the resistor wire is made to specified lengths, and should not be cut down. Just remove the old wire, and put in place the new one. Hopefully someone else can verify/dispute this logic.

As for where to get a new wire, most any auto parts store should have it. Here are a couple part numbers that you can ask for depending on where you go and what brand of parts they carry:
Napa: Echlin ICR22 ---------approx. $7.50
Autozone: Wells F-799-----approx. $10

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 10:53 AM
FlMudCJ

He's exactly right.

Round here somewhere I had the box and part number for the ceramic resistor I bought, but my issulstrius (and recently entitled) Fiance has with great wisodom decided to move it to location unknown. Probably threw it away thinking it was trash.

bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode