Off Roading Forums banner

SOA Questions...Should I do it with new D44s??

794 views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Okay, doing a SOA to my YJ is starting to interest me. First off, is this possible, and how hard is it going to be with GWaggy D44s? People with SOAs, or people who have had them, what can you tell me about them? I want first hand experience from them. What's this going to do to my daily driver? I just figured that I'd get more clearance from a SOA, and more articulation than a 4.5" lift kit. Thanks!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior

G
#2 ·
Re: SOA Questions with my new 44s...

the easy way would be a simple spring under lift because the wag. front 44 pumpkin is alreay set up for it. spring ove will just take some more work. there have been post showing how to make a spring perch ontop so do a search. all will be easy but the pumpkin side in the front will take some grinding. the rear are just spring perches that you weld on. YOU WILL NEED AN ANTI WRAP BAR IN THE REAR!!!! you might as well do it as soon as you get the axles in because you'll start breaking if you don't.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/working on 1tons and 38's

#3 ·
Any thoughts, suggestions, comments on this? I'm very interested in doing it! How much maintenance is there? What can I do to make the leaf springs last longer? Thanks!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior

G
#4 ·
If you have aspirations to going SOA, now would be the time. You have the Grand Waggie D44's and already have to relocate the spring pads. The front will be a little more ticky, but I'm sure H8 will give you some pointers(he used the same axle on his front SOA application).

All of the rear hardware will have to be removed and entirely new stuff will need to be welded(carefully) to the tube(actually, if you are carefull with your cutting you can reuse some of the old stuff in the new locations, but new stuff isn't that expensive). So going with the rear D44 setup isn't that hard.

I believe that new steering knuckles will have to be obtained to clear the springs w/ SOA on a Waggie D44 front. I have no idea of where to start looking, or which application to get them from. Alot of the Waggoner steering stuff can be used in your new steering though, and is way heavy duty.

Also, I can't remember if I told you this before, that you may have clearance problems between your pitman arm and the front track bar. This will only be if you use the Waggoner pitman arm(longer, it will give you the full turning radius that you are looking for). Most people just ditch the front track bar and stay hooked up to the sway bar. Just wanted to give you the heads up.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.

G
#5 ·
Depends on how ambitious you want to be. I did my waggy swap last year, this winter I'm doing the SOA. If I'd know everything I know now, then I probably WOULD have done it all at once, seeing as you are going to have to relocate everything anyways, why not do it just once? However, if you think you might stay SUA, then you can take the project in smaller bites and then maybe you'll find you don't want to go SOA after all.

The biggest technical issue you'll face going SOA is what to do about steering. With the stock location tie rod on top of the knuckles, I've HEARD you CAN go SOA with the stock knuckles by making your spring perches about an inch higher than stock - again, this is what I HEARD. I was considering this, but the main thing is how do you get the drag link to connect? Try as I might I just couldn't see putting a Z link or other such on my rig, even though I KNOW many very knowledgable jeepers who have done so with good results. So me personally I decided if I was going to do this I would only do it with Hi Clearance steering, and have now gathered the stuff and I'm actually going to convert the steering, get that worked out, THEN do the SOA.

You WILL need an anti wrap bar, and that will go a long way to saving your springs. If you have a welder friend this is not hard - my friend made one in like 2 hours using tubing, plate, and left over shackles that looks and works very similar to Sam's - obviously not as beefy, but does the job amazingly well. Cost like 20$.

The thing I have heard consistently is to use 5 leaf (rear YJ) packs on all 4 corners, PLUS either a full length add a leaf OR a main leaf with the ends cut off from another pack, making it 6 leafs. The full length second main leaf apparently greatly reduces spring sag. I personally am doing that because the spring packs I scavenged off a YJ lifter already have a full length add a leaf. I MIGHT also do the second leaf above the main thing also, we'll have to see - that might lead to too much lift. I also plan on carrying a spare main leaf for when one breaks - Been there, done that, not fun.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274

G
#6 ·
I haven't bought them yet, but JC Whitney has 6 leaf HD wrangler springs for less than $70.00 a piece. And right now, they aren't charging freght on orders over $125.00. Lot's of guy's are useing these springs on all four corners, SOA, and aren't having to use anti-wrap devises.
They are full military wrap and are proven quality. Check them out on Pirates of the Rubicon site, just do a search on their forum.

G
#7 ·
Cool! Thanks for the info.

As I now have 8 springs taking up space on my basement floor, I think I will stick with the original YJ + full length leaf idea... if only in the interest of matrimonial harmony! :)

Seriously, the issue of spring sag and having to change springs often is one of the overlooked issues when it comes to SOA jobs, but I've been watching the boards a LOT, knowing this was probably in my future, and there are ways to reduce sag and extend spring life, and your suggestion is just one that I'm keeping in mind if (when) these springs sag out. I've also heard others have had good luck with Alcan springs, and am waiting for someone to report on the life span of the 1 inch lift RE SOA springs ('though I've heard they are more than 1 inch lift) .... so I'm kinda convinced that by the time it becomes an issue I have to deal with there will be lots of solutions to choose from.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.