Future CJ Running gear. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Future CJ Running gear.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I can see the future already. When our nice, rust-free 1980 GM 3/4T FWD gets to Iowa and the body disolves from the salt on the roads, we will probably just toss the body and frame and put the 350/SM465/NP205/14-Bolt/Corp 10 under a CJ, and then the next time we visit the coast we drive back another "California Special" used 3/4T GM FWD and the process begins all over again. By the time those midwest pickups get to be twenty years old like this one, you can see right through them, but here on the coast there are ooodles of clean used trucks to buy. The same goes for XJ's and ZJ's. I will be returning to the coast for a month each year in March, so that would be a perfect time to buy a vehicle and drive it back to the midwest to replenish our fleet.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] We bought this FS GM as an "expendable" rig, but now that I have used it some I have grown attached to it and I hate to see it destroyed by salt, even though we paid so little for it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 03:10 PM

Re: Future CJ Running gear.

i like your thinking, i been trying to buy this early 70's chevy with the same drivetrain (except a 12 bolt rear and Dana 44 front, 6 lug)
i know this set up would fit a CJ-8 nicely, but with some work a 7 (i think that 14 bolt will be looking for a gas tank first bump)

another thought, i know you like the T-cases with with an open differential (or clutches) for the snow, how about a '84 NP203 on the back of a 465?

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 05:53 PM
I Do This For The Glory

To my knowledge, the NP203 only came behind the SM465 in 1974. Are you sure it doesn't have a NP208? The NP205 also made an appearance, but only in the heavier trucks, and it usually had a slip joint instead of a fixed yoke output.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 09:15 PM

ya, '74 sound better, i think my memory isn't getting any better

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 09:31 PM

Dave, why don't you get a rust preventative undercoating for the pick up.....after 16 winters and salt baths here my XJ unibody is rust free.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It's not like I would deny you the right to put the GM drivetrain under the CJ but you know me, "Mr. Frugal"; I just could not stand to see a good frame/body go to waste!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 10:18 PM

Dave-
That's funny ...
The 1977 CJ-7 I just lately bought and parted out had an Iowa registration.
I was hopeing it's frame would be good but the rust, age, and frame cracks had already done it's toll.
I don't think I have even ever been to the big 'I' but I don't see any reason to go... (sorry if I offend any Iowans)
NM jokes are tiresome also ...
Anyway, this CJ was my first experience with a real "rust bucket"...
I just never thought that Iowa had that much bad weather ...
Lots of snow I guess, and too much salt to melt it ... especially over so many years ...

... it's dry here ... very dry.
I guess old car bodies and my carcus will last forever....

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 11:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Up here in the "Rust Belt" just SEEING a CJ on the road is cause for celebration! I drove through the gas station today (in view of our local Tires Plus) and thought my eyes were tricking me...an absoloutly MINT CJ-7 Laredo[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]! I had to drive over and check it out. I was walking around it and saw NO rust!!! Not even on the door hinges and WS frame. Then I saw the 2001 California plates on it and wanted to beat the guy sensless [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] for driving it in Minnesota in January. I couldn't believe how rust free a CJ could really be. Oh well, maybe some day I will venture West/South to buy something I can work on without a pound of rust falling in my eyes whenever I work on it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
1991 Cherokee Limited
2000 Durango SLT

If it's tourist season...why can't we shoot 'em?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You know,.....I DID consider an undercoat job on that GM FWD, ALTHOUGH, the cowboy who owned it already had the undercarriage coated......with cow s#it. It's everywhere. He must have SWAM the pickup across corrals to rescue "Lil' Doggies". When I inspected the adapter between the NP 205 and the SM465 to see if it matched Jeep "N"'s photos, it was unrecognizable until I chipped away some "processed hay" to expose the castings. Surprisingly, the body is real good, and so it the chassis. Cow manure isn't all that corrosive. One thing about it, by the time I dump out the boxes, it will be fairly easy to clean up the frame rails. As an old livestock man, I'm not offended by a little poop.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm going to have to pay some attention to those NP208's and see if they have SNOJEEP potential behind a SM465 tranny. Jeepchick much prefers an automatic so that's even a good possibility using a future GM donor. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 07:37 AM

I have been looking for a nice '85 to 87 Chev fullsize to use as a tow rig for the jeep. I wish I could zip over to California and get me one of those rust free ones! Aound here all the cab corners are gone and anyone that has a decent one wants gold for it. Go figure...

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] This pickup cost us 3K and there was about 1200 dollars worth of "stuff" to do to it on top of that. I have only done the essentials so far just to get it operable, but I will soon dump the boxes out for bearings, synchros and seals, and at that time I want to "twin stick" that NP 205. Just six months earlier, the cowboy had paid a dealer to install a new Goodwrench 350 and it seems real good. I have pulled the heck out of it with some monster trailers up here in the hills and it seems to hold good oil pressure and doesn't leak a drop of anything. It needs an RV cam real bad, but other than that it's fine. This was one of those rigs where the owner wasn't a mechanic......FEW cowboys are....and it had a lot of minor, but Pesky stuff wrong that spoiled the truck. Everyone except the dealer who ever touched it screwed it up worse, like taking out the thermostat.....a typical cowboy approach to a totally shot and plugged up radiator.....and even the dealer didn't get the clutch set up right and it too has gone south because of bad adjustment. Our permanent California mailbox is in a Pack-And-Copy store which has the photo business for the Auto Trader magazine. I'm going to have them forward copies of the Auto Trader to me each spring before my March trip and if I need to I can fish around in there for a vehicle. If I bought it right off the bat I could use it instead of a rentacar and help pay for the rig. I'll be a couple of years before our stuff is worn out; at least two, maybe more. It's a cinch we won't be racking up the miles we do now.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode