Replacing windshield frame. Glass ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Replacing windshield frame. Glass ?

I am in the process of replacing my windshield frame. I sealed it (or so I thought), and swished around some Ospho. Ever heard of it? It's apparently pretty good stuff, used by the armed forces. It's good on rusted or new metal, and acts as a rust inhibitor/primer. Anyway, I did two coats of that, and after work today will do one or two coats of flat black rustoleum. Then on to a body shop to have it painted.

As for the glass - has anyone replaced this themselves, or should I bring it to a glass place? What materials would I need? Can I re-use the rubber seals?

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/M.O.R.E. shackles and lots of ideas!

Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 09:33 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Replacing windshield frame. Glass ?

Often aftermarket frames are a one size fit's all frame.... and the glass is bigger than the opening in the frame. The bottom line.. either:
1. Enlarge the frame opening, or;
2. Grind down the glass to decrease it's overall dimensions.

IMNO, take it to a glass shop and let them carry the liabiltiy for this job.
The next time you replace the winshield in the same frame. Then there should be no problems, or surpises. Take in a new winshield glass gasket with you. You can buy them aftermarket for less expense that the class shop will charge for the same product. Have them make sure to seal the gasket it all the way around, inside and out. Water can, and will drive around the seal at highway speeds.

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 06:10 PM

I have used Ospho. For me, the results have been excellent. I did not have any heavy scale to remove, it was just light rust that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Canis,
I replaced my own windshield glass. I wasnt as good of a wannabe mechanic as I am now but was able to install the glass myself, be sure to buy a new gasket that goes between the glass and windshield frame....also use a good silicone (3M black solicone is what I used)

CJ glass is flat and easier to install than curved glass I understand....

Good luck!

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I replaced my frame I attempted to do the glass myself. I almost had it when this very large crack appeared right across the windshield. I ended up paying about $90 bucks for a new one installed by the shop. The short story, it's worth a try and if you screw up it isn't too expensive to have fixed.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 10:21 PM
glennCJ7

Glass is fairly easy with a couple of tips. If your seal isn't in new condition replace it. And your glass is the right size. Then get a sturdy piece of string (strong butcher twine is good) about twice as long as the circumference of your glass and some Vaseline for lubricant. Install the seal on the glass you can use a little bit of silicone if you like, not too much, it's messy. Then set your windshield on a flat surface and liberally coat the gap in the seal for the frame with Vaseline. Starting at the lower drivers corner (leaving about a foot out) run the string completely around the gap of the seal over lapping where you started and going right to the passenger side. Make sure there is more than enough Vaseline to hold it in place. Then set your windshield on the lower portion of the frame (two people makes this a lot easier) ensuring the lower passenger corner frame lip up to about the middle is in the gap of the seal (fingers only, no tools) and both free ends of the string are on the inside. Just take the end of the string at the passenger side and slowly pull from the inside (someone on the outside applying a very small amount of pressure on the glass will help) you will notice the gap of the seal feed over the lip of the frame. Just keep pulling the seal over the frame until you're all the way around and the windshield is in. Don't let the string pull through the gap, tie the other end off.

Good luck
Glenn

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I tipped my CJ5 over in July, I needed a new windshield frame and glass. I got the windshield frame from Raybucks and the glass locally, along with a new seal. I tried installing the glass myself to no avail. I ended up taking it to a automotive windshield repair and they installed the glass for $25. Now I have the ability to take it back to them if it leaks.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode