PLz dont hate me - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

PLz dont hate me

do any jeepers out there have a small V6 that they took out of their jeeps to replace. Not to many miles. Looking for bigger engine than 1.3L that is n my Samurai. Within a reasonable price. THx

More horsepower= More FUN!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:40 PM

Re: PLz dont hate me

A super HP boost for the Sammy is the Tracker engine and they are a bolt in exchange. My son and I just finished a 96 Tracker engine change out in his Sammy and it was like having a super charger, according to his terminolgy. quite a big difference in performance.
GP'n

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:00 PM
Old Hand

Have you considered the VW deisel engines that were on some cars in the early 80s? I saw a booth in Moab of a company that specicalizes in the swap. They claim it is the ultimate engine for sammy for wheeling. It looked stock.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:29 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Why would we hate you, some of us have run Zuki's as well, very capable vehicles, lots of fun.

The VW diesel swap is a 1.9 Turbo Diesel found in Canada, lots of hp and torque for a Zuki, unfortunately the engines are about $2K.

A V-6? Unless it was swapped the first time into a CJ, you probably won't find one. Jeeps only came with I-6's, no V-6's. The XJ (Cherokee) came with a V-6, but it was the 2.8 Chevy. A 4.3 would absolutely obliterate the running gear, have you talked with <font color=blue>Ranger Rick</font color=blue> on the Zuki BBS? He's running a 4.3 in his rig, too much power, he's had to upgrade almost everything.

I'd have to agree about the 1.6 swap, lots of pwer, easy bolt on, and it can be beefed as well for more hp. Also easy to find and cheap.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 11:27 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My brother swapped in a Ford 2.3 EFI into his 'zuki. With the hood shut, you have NO IDEA it's not stock (other than the 4" spring over). That thing is awesome!! I can't really go into all the mods that it took to get it in there. But now that it's in, damn!! They should have come from the factory with that engine!!

I would think a inline four would be the way to go. I know a lot of guys go with that 4.3 chevy. But them engine compartments seem terribly small. Plus, I've never liked an engine swap where you have to butcher everything to get it in. Just seems to defeat the purpose.

That little Geo swap doesn't seem to be worth the time or money. Going from 1300cc to 1600cc is a small step. Still not a lot of power. But everybody is doing it, so it must have a little merit.

Sorry. Not a lot of help... just adding my two cents.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 12:14 PM
I Do This For The Glory

The Ford 2.3 is also a common swap into the flatfenders. Good power, cheap engine, and reliable as well.

The 1.6 is a good swap, it does make about 25-30 more hp than the 1.3 and it's probably fuel injected as well. Add a cam, headers, and a few other do-dads, and it'll talk when you ask it to.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually Jeepn, some cj's did come from the factory with a V-6. For a while, they used a small buick v6 a 226ci i believe, called the "dauntless". I think you could only get it in the 60's though...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 02:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In the early years of Jeep Cherokee production there was a Chevy 229 cu.in. V-6 available that was pretty small in outside dimensions it was not a very good motor though, but it was small and might fit.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In the early years of Jeep Cherokee production there was a Chevy 229 cu.in.(I think) V-6 available that was pretty small in outside dimensions it was not a very good motor though, but it was small and might fit.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 02:57 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, and they were in the 60's/early 70's, it was the Dauntless 225 Buick, which was the odd-fire version (as opposed to today's even-fire V-6's). They're an OK motor, but when you can get a 231 Buick cheap, why would anyone want to swap in one of those old things. Before I catch flak, I have a 225 in my '71 Commando, great little motor, it's just that the new ones are so much better. You're right though, when I think of CJ's, I think of the '76 and up ones, not the "early" CJ's, my bad.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode