value of CJ w/ v8 vs. value w/ 6cyl - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

value of CJ w/ v8 vs. value w/ 6cyl

Hey guys. I have finally found a little help here in st. louis. I meet this amc muscle car guy that also has a jeep that he is parting out. I talked to him for a while and he said you would help me swap engines. He has a 258 for sale from the 84 cj-7 and a high compression 343 for sale. I dont know how many miles on the 258 but i know it hasn't been run for a while. The 343 is in one of his cars now and aparently makes 304hp. Either engine will just be used to get the jeep on the road so i can sell it and buy a CJ that needs a little less work. So i am wondering which will raise the value of the jeep the most. I am going to see him tonight to talk prices and things. I think he wants about 275 +- a little more to help put it in for the 258. I am guessing the 343 will be in the 500+ range. Thanks for your help. I will post latter what the real prices are.

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: value of CJ w/ v8 vs. value w/ 6cyl

IMHO, the 258. Its cheaper and will be an easier swap. Less wiring headaches, no radiator change necessary, no new bellhousing, etc... Just from a buyer's perspective I think you will get a lot of folks that will shy away from the 343 afraid that there are wiring problems, overheating problems, etc... that are the real reason(s) for you selling the jeep. People often think they might be buying someone else's screw up. I think buyers will be less suspicious of the 258, even if it doesn't run as well. Not to mention that much horsepower in a stock CJ drivetrain can cause additonal problems like spinning the crappy two piece rear axleshafts.

Shain

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:32 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Definitely the 258. As a perspective buyer, I'd be majorly turned off by a V-8 swap like that.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

wait a minute. Isn't the 343 just the older and unbored version of the 360? Shouldn't it be a bolt it?? I know that is way to much HP for my old jeep but wouldn't someone be interested in all the juice if they were building and serious offroader. The engine i have now is a 304 behind a t-150. I think the t-150 should hold ok behind a 343 right? The reason why i was leaning to the v8 was because i know when i went looking for a jeep that was on of the things i really wanted. Not to mention the with a 3 speed, 4.11 gears, and a 258 top speed is like 55mph. whiuch is a serious down side if you plan on driving it aroung town.

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode