More Axle Talk - 8.8 and Wrangler 44 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

More Axle Talk - 8.8 and Wrangler 44

Okay, I'm on vacation here in RI and drove by a truck wrecking yard. Naturally I stopped in. They didn't have any Grand Wagoneers, but they did have a '96 8.8 with 3.73's for $300, complete. I thought this was pretty good. I'd wouldn't mind going this route, but what would I do for a front end? Also, I didn't ask if they had one, but how does everyone feel about a factory d44 from a TJ? Should I grab one if I could? But once again, what do I do for a front? This totally sucks. I'm in RI but have no way to ship it home. I could always fly out here later and rent a U-haul and drive them back. How about this for an idea. If people found some good prices on stuff on the east coast, I could pick it up and drop it off on my way back to the west coast. Would anyone be interested? Thanks a bunch!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:45 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: More Axle Talk - 8.8 and Wrangler 44

Hey, how's about leaving all the EAST coast stuff here on the EAST coast for us EAST coasters?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Yeah, I know. But if you saw the prices on the west coast, you'd understand

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:30 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Maybe I should start a business! Anything else hard to find out there?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's my take on your situation. Yesterday you were asking about lift shackles so I'm assuming that you don't really big tires yet. If that is the case, go back home and just keep your eyes open for a good deal. Be patient and one will come along. Stick with what you have now. There are literally hundreds of YJ's out there running the Dana 30/35 combo with 33" tires and they aren't breaking them. I know four or five guys with this combo and they wheel them pretty hard. They are careful on how much stupid pedal they apply.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 11:33 AM

Snowtow,
I agree with you that the D30/35 combo is not as weak as some would have you believe, mine held up fairly well through the 33x10.50 tire range, and through some very extreme trails. The problem is that you need to gear them and lock them in order to go any place fun, and if you waste money doing that then you will probably spend more than even an overpriced Junk yard exle. If you biuld up an axle that you will keep into the future its not wasted money, but if you plan to build to go anywhere you want, reliably, then every cent you spend on the D30/35 is wasted money in the future, no one else will even buy the stuff from you except pennies on the dollar unless you find a real chump.
James buy the 8.8 and keep looking for a Grand Waggy D44.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good points Jeff. I wish I had 25 cents for every dollar that I spent upgrading something only to replace it later. Here's my thought process that made me suggest what I did. From what I can remember of James' posts, there weren't any to indicate that he is actively building a vehicle capable of the fun stuff. That doesn't mean that it isn't in the plans though, just not actively pursuing that goal. Most of them are about LED lights, herculiner, diamond plate, and minor maintenance stuff. There was one I remember where he was committing to purchasing and installing a RE lift. Did you get it installed James and add bigger tires? I am aware of what an eighteen or nineteen year-old's budger looks like and it seems to me that money is better spent getting some clearance and articulation and go play with it. From that playing around you get a better understanding of what your vehicle's limits are and what you need to get around those limitations. Upgrading axles and such is great if you need it, but if you're not pushing the limits of what you have and won't be in the near future, it's just wasting money. Kind of like putting the cart in front of the horse. Now keep in mind that my thoughts are based purely on what James has posted. He may have the lift installed and running 33's or 35's. I have never seen a post that indicated that those things were done, so I assumed they weren't.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode