Should I buy this Scrambler?(PICS...) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Should I buy this Scrambler?(PICS...)

It is a 1984 Scrambler. Rebuilt 4 cyl., T-176, Dana 300, 4.10 gears, Mostly Stock, new brakes. Includes New 4" Skyjacker lift and Shocks. Check out the RUST. Is this the worst you have ever seen? Rodney can I fix this?

Thanks,

What do you think it is worth?

Thanks,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Should I buy this Scrambler?(PICS...)

What year is it...82? Looks like narrow track axles. Jeepn probably has some valuable insight on this. I think he had similar, or worse, rust in his. Bad rust seems confined primarily to the bed in the photos. You can buy a replacement bed floor panel. So it gets to be a question of how cheaply can you get it. My bro-in-law just bought a running 6 cyl CJ8 with more body rust than that, two banged up fenders and a dented hood for $500. Of course, after we cut all that cancer out and reweld new panels, replace the hood, fenders, etc... we may have a different take on the situation. But right now, as always, I say its salvageable, particularly for a trail jeep. With the paddle style doors, 4:10 gears; 4" Superlift I'd get it if you can get it for $2500 or less. Obviously, the cheaper the better. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Just my thoughts.

Shain

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:02 PM

If it's more than $2k I'd pass! That much rust in the body, the frame is probably swiss cheese. The rule of thumb for me, is the sum of it's parts worth what you are paying for it? Scramblers are cool but they are way overpriced usually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh I agree JeepinDoberman, $2500 is definatley the highest of what I would pay. But I dont think the frame is necessarily swiss cheese. If its a Texas jeep that hasn't been down on the coast, it really hasn't been exposed to much salt like a northern jeep. Hell we get ice or snow one or twice a year and people freak completely out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. The rust, in the pics at least, looks like its primarily in the bed area which I think it typical of a farm vehicle down here. I'm assuming this has been on some ranch or hunting lease the last several years. A bed full of dirt, trash and sh*t sitting in it year after year holding water and allowing the rust to develop, banging it up hauling salt blocks, 55 gal drums, t-posts, barb wire and the like is pretty tough on the ol' bed. Doesn't automatically mean the frame is shot. Certainly, check it out. It would be nice if the axles were widetracks though.

Shain

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:49 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Man, that's about where mine was when I started. Is that a soft 1/2 top I see? Let's see, T-176 and 4.10 gears? How much they asking? Do you know how to weld? I take it the body mounts are rusted as well?

If the body mounts are fine, I'd give $1,500 for it, probably not any more. If the body mounts are shot, I'd give $750 for it, tops.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 09:00 PM

The 84 Scrambler I got for my wife was WAYYY worse than that. I was able to remove the tub in 2 pieces bacause it had rusted almost in half. Every time I even bumped it in the garage prior to it's Tub-ectomy it would shower down rust and mud.
It did run, however. I only paid $500 for it, and it was barely worth that. Almost all I will be using is the frame, x-fer case, heater boxes, and of course, the TITLE...
Bob in Ma

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Okay, I couldn't do it.

The guy needed at least $2800 to get out from under it. There is no way it is worth $2800. It is basically a frame and drivetrain. The tub is shot, salvageable for trail use only. Both front fenders are crushed in front. It already has the lift installed 4" springs and 3" shackles, that's right 7"s of total lift!! The gears have been swapped to an unknown ratio, he said 5.13s but that won't work in a Dana 30. 2hrs and 90 miles later at least I can mark that one off my list. I always lose sleep if I don't go check them out. I can sleep good tonight with about $2500 under my pillow.

Later,
TOM

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 10:40 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Smart move. Mine had a freshly rebuilt engine, running, and I got it for $700. Granted the body was shot (only took 2 months or rebuilding to last a year) and there was no second gear, but it drove fine. Definitely look for a better one, and keep us informed.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the guy has been smoking too much crack. Like you already said 5.13's won't work in a Dana 30 and there's no way that thing has 7" of lift. Those tires are 31's at the most. My buddy's CJ7 with 2.5" of lift has twice as much fender room with 31's. In fact, in the lower picture you can see the rear shackle. They're stock!

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 11:29 AM

Just a weird observation, but in the picture the Jeep logo on the side looks like its backwards?? Am I missing something there? Must be all the caffeine!

Lugnut 77 cj5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode