Grabby clutch ?!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Grabby clutch ?!?

'91 YJ I-6 clutch is grabby! It's engaging quiet suddenly so that I really have to finess it. It does disengage well, I have no trouble shifting into any of the gears. It doesn't slip either. Haynes doesn't say much on this. Any ideas? THANKS!

'91 YJ, I-6, 3" lift, 31s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 01:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Grabby clutch ?!?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Some of the causes could be: Scored or burnt friction surface on the flywheel or on the pressure plate or both; Oil leaking on the clutch; Clutch release fingers bent or out of adjustment. No matter what it is, this probably means you must drop out the clutch. When you do, pay very close attention to the surface of the flywheel and have it surfaced by a reputable shop. The clutch cover (pressure plate) you will replace of course. Before teardown, note the relative position of each release finger...or GROUP of fingers if it is a diaphram clutch....and see if there are any which are displaced.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Oh my, I know if anybody CJDave can scare you into not want to grab a wrench at all! (I don't know moonguys yet) So, how long can I drive it like this before I MUST service it? I'd like to wait a little longer if possible to gain more experiance (and confidence) with the mechanic stuff, but I'd like to do it myself edventually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 04:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This can go like this till it shakes so bad it loosens your back teeth and the dirt under the fenders. I have seen rigs literally shake like a paint mixer on take-off when the flywheel had a pattern of surface cracks like a road map. You know,......this would be a great place to begin your wrenching. This clutch job is difficult physically, but not technically. Clutches have not changed since the twenties. Lots of HI SKOOL kids successfully change a clutch as their first venture into the deep dark waters of mechanicsville lagoon. You'll be fine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] There are only a few things that you MUST know to do a clutch job. Otherwise it's mainly just greasy grimy hard work when you drop that tranny and transfer case, but OH HOW GOOD IT FEELS when the velvet-smooth takeoffs are once again a part of your Jeep driving experience.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] To do a moonguy, you use this mark [ and then type crazy and then this mark ] and you get crazy moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. Do the same for smile, wink, blush, cool, frown, mad, shocked, and tongue.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]Amazing, all the valuable knowledge you can pick up on this board! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So, since I don't have anybody show me how to do it what publication would have enough write-up on the procedure? Will the factory service manual help me with this? I guess that's the next thing to get... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 10:09 AM

I know that doing your own clutch is a frightening thought, but I just did mine this summer and this was my first big work on my Jeep. Don't be scared of it. Just do lots of planning and make sure you have everything you need before you start so you don't have to stop in the middle and go find a new part or tool.
http://www.d-p-g.com/Jp/Spring96/clutch.htm
Check out this page. Someone else can problably make it clickable, otherwise just copy it and paste it into your browser.

Rent a tranny jack, I rented an electric impact wrench, unless you have an air compressor. The impact wrench is a must for getting the clutch cover and flywheel off.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode