shackle reversal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shackle reversal

I have been working on taking out the wander and white knuckle feeling out of my 76 CJ5, 21/2 in and 33in BFGs. I have taken advise from feedback and thank you all for the help. The biggest change was airing down my 33in from 35psi to 25psi.
I am still looking for more improvement and am considering a shackle reversal. 1st who has done it and does it make a great improvement on the street. 2nd I am looking at the M.O.R.E. system that moves the axle 1in forward, any pros and cons.

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 04:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: shackle reversal

I had a shackle reversal which I am taking out. Basically, I think they DO improve handling on the street (trail handling is debatable), but in order to do it properly you will have to move your axle forward (at least 2 inches - I moved mine 1 and it rubs on the body), and get a new long travel drive shaft. make sure that if you go ahead with this you account for those two things - you must move the axle forward to avoid clearance problems, and you must get a longer travel driveshaft (probably have to be longer in length also).

Chad

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

okay i keep reading about shackle reversal and the more i read the more i am confused!how do you know if you need longer driveshaft and how do you move frt axle forward?how do you figure out how far to move it?

'78 cj-5 black JEEP squadron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

okay.. with the springs in stock form.. shackles in front.. notice where the spring actually bolts to the shackle.. and then take heed to where that is in relation to the front bumper.. and when that stock setup flexes.. the axle will move forward.. since the solid mount is in the rear.. but when you drive.. the forces push rearward and with the mobile mount in the front(think of it as being sorta loose.. and going thru water, the resistance pushing the front of the springs left and right just ever so slightly).. .. makes for the slightly unstable ride.. so..
you do a shackle reversal.. and now with the solid mount in front the fronts of those springs stay steady... this provides a more stable ride.. but with the moble (shackle) mount in the rear.. your axle now flexes towards the body tub..
so...
when these aftermarket co. do theirs.. the solid mount actually sticks forward of the front bumper.. moving your front axle forward.. so you do not hit the tub..
my homemade kit did not move the axle forward.. i just cut the fender.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
thats kinda it in a nutshell..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:09 PM

Nice analogy with the water. I knew kinda how stock vs. srs was supposed to work, but now I can see it in my head.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://members.fortunecity.com/patrol14/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 07:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

like jeepgod says, most of the kits (like MORE's) move the axle forward for you - MORE's moves it 1.5 inches forward. I moved mine 1 inch forward, wasn't enough with 35s and MASSIVE body trimming.

You need a longer driveshaft because you're moving the axle forward. You need a longer TRAVEL drive shaft because you'll need WAY WAY WAY more slip spline to keep the driveshaft and/or tcase together.

In STOCK configuration the spline doesn't slip or move that much because the shackle on front tends to move the tire BACK as it droops (when the axle's natural tendency is to increase the distance between the axle and tcase), and AWAY as it compresses (when the axle's natural tendency is to decrease the distance between the axle and tcase). This causes the spline to not move that much because the shackle is actually working to conteract the natural tendency of the axle to move away from or closer to the tcase.

However, with a SRS, the shackle (in back) tends to more the tire AWAY as it droops, and closer to the body as it stuffs. In other words, in SRS front suspension the shackle is working to INCREASE the natural tendency of the tire to move away from or closer to the body of the rig. The result is that the spline on a SRS rig has to be WAY longer in order to not pull apart or get stuffed into the tcase - I was amazed at the difference in travel required. If you cross it up much at all you WILL have to buy a custom long travel drive shaft or it will either stuff itself into the tcase or pull apart.

Just imagine the shackle as a pendulum that sways back and forth in response to suspension movement - it has to in order that your springs are able to compress and extend. Now imagine what that does to where the axle placement is.

I had the shaft pull apart on me once, then ordered a custom unit. The natural tendency is to use the stock shaft, maybe have it shortened or lengthened as necessary, but this won't be enough - it will either pull apart on extension or jam into the tcase on compression. Did you see top truck challenge? See all the driveshafts pull apart? see the transfer case adapter get broken? All because there wasn't enough travel in the slip splines in those d shafts.

Chad - Been there, done that!

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 04:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yep chad.. i have the stock front driveshaft for now.. and it does both.. i can seperate it.. when i take the shocks off.. and i jammed it into the transfer case.. luckly.. i just bent the driveshaft.. and didnt damage the transfer case.. i will be getting the long slip front driveshaft here soon..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, I'm not saying it's not a good mod, just trying to make sure he knows everything involved in making it work right..... I'm taking mine out mostly because I'm going SOA, which will mean even MORE articulation than I have now, which will mean even MORE stuffing of the tire into the body than I have now. I trimmed the fenders right back to the tub, so now when it rubs, it is just rubbing, not tearing the tire or body. It would be OK if I wasn't getting more flex out of it. With more flex, I'd probably have to get even more travel out of my front drive shaft. At the time I ordered it you could get the long travel one which greased normally or if that wasn't enough you could get longer travel ones that you had to dissassemble to grease. I was JUST able to make it with one of the normal grease ones, if I need more travel I'll need the other kind.... no thanks.

The ride WAS better, but not THAT much better!

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much was that drive shaft?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The truth is I can't exactly remember, but I recall it being something like 225 or so. As soon as you got into the LONGER longer travel models (the ones you have to take apart to grease) it went up considerably - I think it was 389 or something. The only reason why you would need something like that is if you had a shackle reversal or some other highly customized front suspension. From what I've heard, even the SOA guys getting really good flex are usually able to run a stock travel drive shaft. Could be wrong, but that's what I heard.

Chad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode