Need Info On Red Fish Lake Area of Idaho - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Need Info On Red Fish Lake Area of Idaho

Looks Like a camping trip to Red Fish Lake in Central Idaho for a Family reunion this spring. I am not familiar with the area, and am interested in knowing if there is any wheeling areas near, within 40-50 miles. If not, I will leave the jeep at home, but would really like to take it and play. Who administers that area, USFS or State, or others? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Big Game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 01:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Info On Red Fish Lake Area of Idaho

USFS takes care of that area. There aren't many motorized trails around that area. Many of the "fun" trails were closed down to OHV's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]. There are a lot huggers in the area. Mountain bikers and hikers love that area because of the single track trails that run all over up there. It is fun to run around in a Jeep, but there really aren't any "trails". They're mainly USFS roads. What time of year is the reunion? Did they reserve some sites for the reunion? That's a popular area for reunions. Mainly because it's accessible, but has some spectacular scenery. Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 25/44, 32's on 15x10's,no lift yet, cage.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for the info. Any chance of any fun wheeling within decent range? I hate to leave the jeep home, it is going to start thinking I don't like it. It starts wagging its tire carrier and drooling all over the place everytime we load up the motorhome. I am afraid if I keep leaving it home, when I go to use it, it will bite be (or at least leave me stranded).

1) We are going in late June.

2) Yes, It is my understanding my sister has reserved some type of family campsite where multiple trailers can stay at one time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most of that area (even within 50 miles) is all National Forest (Sawtooths/Challis), so pretty much any trail is going to be a USFS 'road'. There are a few of these 'roads' that are not maintained and are really nothing more than old mining/timber roads. I've been wheelin' above Challis (about 50 miles north of Redfish), and it was fun. The place was called Mosquito Flat Reservoir. My Jeep wasn't running at the time, so I broke in my new Ram (nice trail stripes[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). The guy I was up there with was driving a '57 CJ-3B that fit on these trails. My Ram didn't fit. There were some good twisty trails up there. You could spend the day up there wheelin'. Many of these trails are older USFS roads that aren't maintained, so they can get pretty interesting. We went up there over the 4th of July, and I still got stuck in a drift. Glad I had my chain and come-a-long. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This place is pretty fun (sorry, no pics). Not sure how far you want to travel to go wheeling. I've been told that there are quite a few old mining roads that are only accessible via a Jeep or ATV, but I haven't spent enough time up there to find them. Some of the locals (around Galena Summit) probably know where these trails are. You might even be able to get some info out of some of the mountain bikers. I'll keep digging and post more info as I find it.... Bret

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Hubeid, thanks for the info. We actually will be there the weekend before the 4th, last weekend of June. Of course, if the weather continues like it is, we won't have to worry much about snowdrifts being a problem.

Thanks

BTW, were are you from, and would you be interested in a trip that weekend?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I grew up in Burley (South Central Idaho), but I've been in the Boise/Meridian area for the last 9 years. Once it warms up, I usually pack the family up and spend one weekend a month up around the Galena Summit area with my parents. I've only had my Jeep up there once (got it running late this last fall). I might just plan on going up there before the 4th. I haven't met anybody from this board yet, so that would be cool. There's a couple more board members that are from this area as well (I forgot their usernames, Dan 84CJ7 and gopher I think). My Jeep still needs a lot of work, but it's mild trail worthy. I'll keep you posted on any other info I find.... Bret

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode