Hardtop banging, need hold downs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hardtop banging, need hold downs

I scored a nice YJ hardtop for my CJ and just have it clamped in the back right now. Driving down bumpy roads makes the front bang like hell on the windshield. I don't really want to drill the holes in the frame as they tend to break out anyway. I saw some over priced bail type clamps for this problem somewhere but I don't remember where. Anybody got any great ideas? I'll be taking the top off when it warms up a little. Also, I have heard for years that YJ and CJ tops are interchangeable. This one seems to not permit me the open the rear window or tailgate. It hooks over the CJ tailgate inside and outside and keeps you from opening either one. Never saw that one coming. It has the rear wiper and all that jazz, nice top. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:32 AM

Re: Hardtop banging, need hold downs

They are interchangable but the rear gates needs attention. As you found out a CJ rear gate closes first then the rear window on the top. On the YJ its just thr reverse the top closes then the rear gate closes. For the bumping thats easy. You need to make sure the rubber seal is in the top rail above the windshield frame then using 3 bolts per side, one right behind the door, one centered above the wheel well, and then one in the rear just before the corner. You should cure the bumping noise, with out using any clamps or bolts above the window frame. I have been running this way since 87 on my YJ and have no problems. I use the top in summers for the A/C and pull it off in the winters. This also will keep the top from getting those nasty cracks in the corner of the door opening. This is the weakest part of the top and when you get to flexing the top (clamped both front and rear) this is where the top gives. You may want to keep an eye out for a CJ top that has been wrecked and get the rear gate from it and change yours out.
GP'n

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw some at http://www.quadratec.com part#13022.00, price $59.95+S&H...Don't know how good these would be though...never had to deal with a hardtop...

"Those damned replicants. Have u retired any today?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 09:04 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I use the bail style clamps to hold my whole top down on the Scrambler. It works great, no squeaks, leaks, or shifting, and I can remove the top in about 30 seconds. I have 12 latches (boat latches for securing hatches) holding the top down, some on the outside and some on the inside. Might be something to consider. You shoudl be able to get the latches at a hardware store or boat shop.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode