How could you get 6' for this cheap?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

How could you get 6\' for this cheap??

Today I was at a gas station filling up and I saw this pickup parked with a chris nickels offroad center sticker on it.I got done pumping and I look up and that I see the guy in the truck pull up next to me and he ask me I take my cj-5 offroad much.Ofcourse I told him yes..He says he does to..and ask me where I go and etc..he told me a few places he goes.Well then he starts telling me he has an old willy's mb and a 78 cherokee or some year near that.I said..Does your kid or something drive that Cherokee?He said it was his nephew.I have seen it before..He told me it had 14in of lift and 35inch boggers, he's leaving the willys the same.Well anyways Im bs'ing with him for a minute at the pump and he is telling me about his jeeps.I tell him mine is stock..He starts to say you could put a lift on that for cheap!It would be real easy on that thing.He was telling me my springs where in good shape or something..He said I could get you 6inches for $130.00.Im thinking he is works for someone and I'm like...is this just parts or labor or what?He said yea..I'll help you put it on for free.I am wanting to do this but I can't imagine anyway to get 6' for 130!I know I could get some 2-3 shackles and a body lift.But I told him I had a 1 inch body that was already on there and he said..that I dont want to have anymore than that(which I already know).Well how could you do this?

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How could you get 6\' for this cheap??

He is probably talking about going SOA. Cheap...yea can be. Just make sure that it is done right. If he has done a SOA conversion before then look at the work. You could have found yourself a goldmine of info and help. Don't forget to help him in the same way.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:26 PM

Since he is a pickup guy, I am thinking he is talking about blocks in the rear and add-a-leafs in the front. My advice-spend more for less lift and you will be a lot happier. 6" is a lot of lift for a CJ-5 anyway. If you really need 6" of lift the best way to get it is a spring over. that gives you lift and articulation and is probably the cheapest 6" lift you can find.

my $.02
CJay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

YJason,I haven't really met any real jeepers.I mean my friends and all but we are just kids.I have seen some at trail runs but never really talked to them.I could have talked to this guy forever but I had to go to work.I probably spent 5 minutes out at the pump before I went in and pumped.
I know I don't need 6'!I dont really want that much right now.I would take 3' but thats just something he said about 6'.I can't afford bigger tires anyways right now..
Could someone break it down for me the cost?
I mean the shackle cost and if I have to replace any steering parts or any other cost?I think I will just ask him about a 3 incher.Wouldnt I have to readust my driveline too?
Thanks

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats about what you would pay for spring rearching. Only problem is, the rearching never lasts, always settles back in.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 12:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if he said 6 inches hes not talking about blocks or add a leafs. blocks would lower the back and add aleaf would only get you about 1.5 inches in the front.

i'm pretty sure he is talking about a spring over converson. it is very cheep all you need to do is weld new spring pearches on top of you axels and put you springs over the top of the axels instead of under them. i think it gives you closer to 4.5 inches of lift. the key to a good spring over conversion is getting the spring pearches positioned perfect and then correcting the stearing the right way. its cheep.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 02:24 AM
cj7jeep

He has to be talking about going spring over. I would try to see a Jeep that he has done this to. SOA are real flexy and still give a good ride. I think you will need new shocks or at least relocate the mounts. Not really sure if you will need longer drive shafts. Also you will need longer brake lines. I think Boston Mangler has a write up on his web page.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why in the world does everybody think that SOA is cheap? Yes, you can use your existing springs so that part is free. If you have fabrication skills and the right tools that part only costs you time. But think about how much more flex SOA gives. There's a new set of shocks for at least $100. Also the brake lines are going to be maxed out so there's another $100-$125. Now you have all this unlimited flex and your steering components start hitting the springs. Doh! Well, better figure another $250 (at least) for knuckle over steering. What about spring wrap? Some have it, some don't but you never know until you have it on the road. There's more bucks to combat that problem. Now there's also peripheral expenses like new spring bushings, u-bolts, spring plates, shock mounts, etc. and those little things do add up quickly. Spring over might be cheap for something that never makes it off the pavement. The real reason for doing it though is for flex while off-roading and it doesn't come cheap. Don't go into it blindly without thinking of all the extras that are required.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 11:10 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Drive shafts, let's not forget about driveshafts. Yes, it appears cheap initially, but IMHO, it's on par with the best suspension systems in terms of cost. That's assuming it's done right.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's why I said that the only thing I could think of that would run in that neighborhood is spring re-arching.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode