T5 reliability? 2.5L bellhousing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T5 reliability? 2.5L bellhousing?

Our '92 YJ has 85K on it now and the weak stock drivetrain is showing it's age. It's a 2.5L 4 cylinder with an AX5 and NP231. The rear bearing on the AX5 mainshaft failed at 75K. The Dana 30 front-end just broke a shift fork on the axle disconnect. It's time to think about upgrading.

I want to keep the 2.5L. I want to get rid of the Dana 35 rear, disconnect Dana 30 front, and the AX5. I'd also like to have a gear drive transfer case.

I'm looking at going spring-over with a Scout Dana 44 rear and Scout Dana 30 front. I'll probably stick with 4.10 gears and run 33x9.5 tires (currently running 30x9.50). I'm hoping to gain make up for the taller tires with a lower first gear. Ideally, I'll run a Jeep Dana 300 transfer case. I'm undecided on the tranny. I'd prefer a 5-speed, don't want to buy costly adapters, don't want to spend the money for an NV4500 (nor do I need the strength), so I'm considering the T5 but I don't know much about it yet. Are there any major reliability issues with the T5? Keep in mind it's only going behind the 2.5.

Does the YJ 2.5 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the AMC 4-cylinder in the late CJ7s? Is that the same bolt pattern as the 6-cylinder in the CJ7s. I know the CJ7 bellhousing will use a different clutch setup and won't have the mount for the crank position sensor, but I can deal with those things.

Thanks for any help,
Jerry Muncie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: T5 reliability? 2.5L bellhousing?

I can't answer all your questions but by late CJ-7 you mean early eighties they used the Pontiac Iron Duke 4 cylinder motor in those, the bell houseing had the same bolt pattern on the motor side as a small block Chevy and on the traany side it would bolt to ford trannies like the T4 and T5. Most people are not happy with the jeep T-5 as far as strenght goes but if that is the tranny that you want to use you could go with a T-5 World Class tranny that was used in Mustangs and is stronger than the one used as original equipment in a Jeep.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess I should have said very late CJ7s. The last couple of years used an AMC 4-cylinder, starting in '84 I think.

I know that the T5 isn't bullet-proof, so if it's not going to be a relatively easy swap, I wouldn't bother with it. I'm looking mainly at the Jeep T5 because, from what I've read, the World Class T5 would be relatively expensive by the time it's set up for a transfer case. If I'm going to sink a lot of money in a 5-speed, I might as well go NV4500. The AX5 is junk. I'm wondering how much better the Jeep T5 is.

If the 2.5L bellhousing is the same as the AMC I6, I could just as easily go to a T-19 with a Dana 20.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 03:06 PM

Actually the 2.5L shares the same 60 degree bolt pattern as the Chevy 2.8L V-6. These came in Jeep Cherokee's and Chevy S-10's with a 5 speed that I think is a T-5. I was toying with the idea of using a 700R4 from a Chevy to replace my AX5, but don't think I can afford the down time needed to fab this up.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had a regular t-5 in behind my 304 and it held up great. never had any problems. i just sold it for a wc t-5 cause i'm planning on putting a 360 in it this spring. but it will do fine. imo.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 05:54 AM

The World Class T-5 is available for both Mustangs and Jeeps. This leads to some confusion, because the same tranny WON'T fit in both vehicles, because they use a different tailhousing. You have to get a Jeep WC for a Jeep, and a Mustang WC for a Mustang.
With that being said, I paid $1488 for my WC T-5 from Advance Adapters. A World Clas T-4 is also available for $1258.
I also think that behind a 4 popper, you would have a regular T-5 lead a long life.
Bob in MA

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 07:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

just a note for now on the shift fork, the shift fork out of the 94 and up dodge ram 1500 with the dana 44 is a steel fork instead of the aluminum and is a direct replacement for yours.. Just some thoughts for people with the YJ/XJ with the dana 30.

89 YJ 258, lime green, 4" lift, no track bar, manual axle disconnect
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 07:17 AM
Can't Get Enough

The T5 might hold up with a stock Jeep used on the street only. Your post said that 33's are going to be used and if you plan on any offroad use, I would stay away from the T5. The T176, although a 4 speed, might be a better choice. My T4 lasted for only 6000 miles before self destructing with 36's and mild offroad use.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It will see mostly street use, but maybe some mild wheeling with a very conservative driving style. What engine were you running with your T5? Keep in mind that this is for a 2.5L.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode