Hi-Lifts for $29.99!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hi-Lifts for $29.99!!

I know that this is not the for sale section but I went to one of those travelling salesman thingy's, you know, they rent space at your local fairground or civic center and sell tools and household items for decent prices. It's mainly off brand items but for the prices, they'll work until you can get some quality tools. Anyway, the paper had listed Hi-Lifts for $15, so I went over to the fairgrounds searching for the jacks and wouldn't you know it, the very thing that I am looking for didn't come in on the shipment. So I got their web address and figured I'd check that out. They have the Hi-Lift for $29.99 which I don't think is all that bad. http://www.homier.com/default.asp?pa...ies.asp?dept=2 Also search around, they have Dewalt tools that are refurbished for a pretty good discount. For all those that are in Georgia, they will be touring that area in April. Just thought I'd share this with you all.

<font color=green>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=red>
Semper Jeep<font color=black>
<font color=red>http://www.jeepgod.net<font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Hi-Lifts for $29.99!!

Is that the real mccoy, or is that just a farm jack. It really doesn't matter, thats a great price.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:18 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Buyer beware! I bought one of these jacks, thinking the same as you. It's junk, pure and simple. There is a reason the pic on the site isn't clear, and you'll see that if you order one.

The parts look very similar to the hi-lift, and may even interchange, but for $50 you can get the real thing.

The pins bend easily, and there are no bolts holding everything together, just pins. I replaced the roll and main pins with solid pins and bolts where possible. If you look at the pic, there is no top clamp, and the jack portion is straight across the "jaw", not curved up at the end. The base plate is cheesy, but can be strengthened easily enough with a metal plate. The whole metallurgy of the jack has pits in it and looks pretty bad.

I said, "Well, it may look cheesy, but it probably works the same".

Wrong.

I jacked up the Scrambler to change out the Swampers (needed them for a Zuki run), and while the jack went up fine, it wouldn't come down, no amount of lubing would help. No problem, just kick the jack over. Sure, then the jack got wedged between the Scrambler, which was back on all 4, and the ground, bowing the jacking post. I couldn't believe it. No way for it to move now. I had to get my REAL Hi-Lift (I bought this as a spare, multiple jeeps = multiple jacks, right?) and jack the Scrambler back up, then remove the fake hi-lift. I'd only go with a genuine Hi-Lift jack, not worth risking your life over if it fails. Just my opinion, but based on my observations and experiences.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I didn't know if they were the real ones or not. My Dad-in-law just gave me a Hi-lift that is the real one but it is ancient. The thing won't go back down. It is real rusty. I figure if I just soak it in some lube all the parts might just start working again. Jeepn, thanks for the insight. If they had had them at the fairgrounds I would have been able to tell you if they were "true" hi-lifts or not.

<font color=green>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I just got a new 60" high lift for christmas, damn this thing is big. Now the fun is trying to find a place to mount it in a cj-5. Should be fun.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same show come through my place last weekend(oshkosh,WI) and was given a free impact wrench that diddent work,it was a cummings, what the hell is that I thought they only made diesl engines, anyway all I need to do is get a certain part and it will work just fine.

gotta do hella work to these boys
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I bought a bunch of other tools, and they're fine for what I do. I got a drill press, 14" chop saw (Damn doesn't THAT help!), parts washer (new for $25!), bench grinder, clamps, hammers, punches, and I can't even remember what else. All totalled I spent about $300 there. Not top quality stuff, but they work fine and I probably saved $400 anyway. It's just me using them, and I'm not looking for industrial stuff, so it's fine, and they've worked well for about 6 months.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

There was mucho stuff there. I would purchase alot of it but I'm just visiting family here in Louisiana and don't want to overload the Yukon. I'll wait and see if they come to Albany, Ga and then I will get me a bunch of stuff. I did buy there little $10 4" grinder. It's like you said, JEEPN, it'll be just me using the tools so they should last awhile.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:29 PM

I was going to post this a while ago..But if you have a friend who works at truvalue.You can get hi-lifts for $30.00.A few of my friends did.The employees get everything at price and thats it.I plan on getting myself one there soon.BTW they didnt have any on the shelf.They had some catalog you can order them from

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just checked out that website...It turns out the jack is $29.99, but they charge $20.00 for shipping. I can buy a real HI-LIFT here in town for $54.99 or less....You do the math...

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode