Funny Junkyard Tale--OT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Funny Junkyard Tale--OT

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] You could NEVER make this up, but posting to Jimmy Z's response to the motor mount thread reminded me of this. In about 1961 or 62 I worked weekends and vacation relief in a huge auto wrecking yard. Sometimes I would be part of the "Choppin' Block" crew, and in those Pre-Enviroconcern days we would pile the cars up and burn them in a huge auto funeral pyre before cutting the rest of the carcass up for hauling to the smelter. This was before car crushers were even invented. Prior to burning we would drop the gas tanks, the tires and wheels, and the BATTERIES. Our boss had a real "thing" about batteries. He always liked selling batteries because they were an easy and profitable sale. Well, anyway, as soon as we got our mega fire going we were allowed to take a break and escape the 100+ California heat by going in the office and having a cold soft drink. As usual, the boss would ask us; "Didja git all them bat-trees outa th' cars, boys?" and this one particular day we HAD NOT taken every battery out because in this little '41 GM car...I think it was a Pontiac...the battery was under the driver's seat, under a sealed cover, under a bolt down bracket, and WAYYYYY too much trouble to get to for a battery that probably wasn't any good anyway. "Oh, yeah, Boss." we replied in unison, as we threw down our drinks. "We got 'em ALL out!" NOT THREE SECONDS later, the fire burned through the old insulation on the horn wiring on that GM and grounded out the horn relay, causing the horn to beep loudly. It went on for what seemed like forever and we had to sit there......totally embarassed....and listen to that horn convict us, AND listen to the boss tell us every few seconds what a GREAT BATTERY that was and how he could have really made a lot of dough selling it. I finished my Big Orange drink and got out of there as quick as I could. That 100+ heat outside was nothing compared to the heat we were taking in that air-conditioned office.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 09:05 PM

Re: Funny Junkyard Tale--OT

Da*n Dave. I know you're older than I am, but would you believe it. Your 'ole boss is still alive and kickin in the buisness..................I'm sure I work for him!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Actually, he was a great guy, and he is now gone to that great wrecking yard in the sky. Where he is now he can visit with the guys who BUILT that '41 Pontiac and Hupmobiles and Hudsons too. The great Valhalla of Motordom.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 08:10 AM

Dave,
I sincerely hope that you didn't burn up any Willys MBs or....gasp....Willys MAs in that funeral pyre. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] To us, four-wheel drives were like something mystic. Nobody in the yard knew anything about them but we all knew not to cut one up. The few pickups we did have that were FWD usually disappeared over time down to zero. They parted out to the bone and then some.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] While I worked there I was able to glom onto an army GMC six-by-six with the 270 engine that I took home and made a nice winter feed truck for the dairy. And then later on I got a hold of a '52 GMC 2-1/2 ton with a Gar Wood hoist on it. The unit came from the City of San Francisco and had never been off the pavement or had ever gone over 25 MPH. It had five speed main box and a three speed Brownlipe auxillary with under, DOUBLE under, and direct. It was a Keep Our City Clean truck and it had to be able to idle up hills while they dumped wastebaskets into the side-opening debris body. We made a dandy flatbed dump out of it. The engine was a 27o and hopelessly carboned up, so I located a 302 GMC six army surplus out of an early model APC and we dropped that in to make a real nice truck.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] On one adventure to the City of San Francisco to pick up twenty old Police cars, I gathered up all of my buddies and paid them next to nothing to ride up to SFO and drive back a car. I took a tow truck to pull a cripple and we also had an auto carrier to haul five more cripples. On the way home three of the kids got stopped in Tracy CA for RACING each other on the way home in these old SFO police cars. It made the papers and I took a little flak for it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That job was a kick; you NEVER knew what the next day was gonna be.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode