Exhaust Leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Exhaust Leak

I have an '87 YJ, 258. I noticed lately that there is a heavy exhaust smell in the car. I looked under the car this morning and saw exhaust coming out under the passenger seat or a little behind it under the Jeep. I guess I have a hole. I am planning to take the Jeep to Meineke to have them to a free inspection to see where the leak is coming from. I have a feeling it is behind the cat. My question is, what are my options? Someone mentioned to me to upgrade to a Borla exhaust system. My question on that is, I know it is stainless and they offer a long warranty, but what other advantages does that have? I have no idea, but would imagine if I went with a Meineke muffler, they would also have a good warranty. Is it possible to just weld the hole or something like that? The Borla is also a bit expensive, $300, and that's without labor to install. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A
1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Exhaust Leak

If it were me, I would go with the Borla upgrade (if you are considering a new one). Installing a muffler isn't as difficult as you might imagine. The hardest part would be getting the old muffler out. I cut the hell out of it trying to get it off. There was so much rust under there it was rediculous. Didn't matter about mangling it, because it is no good anyway. Installing the new one took about 1/3 the time to remove the old one and was only a matter of sliding the muffler on the cat and torquing down the clamps. I would also check your cat convertor while your were down there. No sense replacing the cat in 6 mos and having to remove the muffler again. Just a thought. You could also have someplace just repair the leak until you figure out what you want to do. Good luck

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4WD HW carries a complete pre-bent Walker system that is very reasonable. You might want to check into that.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

any other brands besides Borla that are good?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am running a Pacesetter TFX muffler system from quadratec for 6 mos and I'm not dissappointed at all. Sounds really nice and gave the Jeep a little more horsepower. I think I paid about $150 + shipping. Go to www.quadratec.com to check it out...

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 04:29 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I'd be careful about Meineke and Midas. Up here, and it's probably not the same down there, but just FYI anyway, when you go in for their "inspection", they may not let you leave. They can deem the vehicle (BYW, a jeep is not a *car*) undriveable and not allow it back on the road, they claim it's a hazard and could kill you. Therefore you have to have it towed or repaired there. The Midas in Thomaston, Maine does this, everyone knows it, but I still see vehicles going in there. I'd patch it with some tape and putty, then deal with it in the summer, you're going to replave it anyway, why not do it during good weather.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I guess what I'm really asking is, what advantage would a Borla or similar cat back system have over a midas or meineke cat back system? I know Borla is guaranteed for a while, but the midas has a lifetime warranty as well. Are there any performance issues? Thanks.

Donny

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a Borla on my 4.2L and was very happy with it(both performance and durability). I think what u want to ask yourself is do u really want to spend that much money (~300 for cat-back). I had the header on as well, so I don't know if u will see the difference in performance with just the cat-back. It is a bit pricey, I paid about $700 for header+cat+cat-back+gaskets+hardware, and installed it myself over the weekend. So, how many exhaust systems could u install for the price of this one? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I was new to the Jeep thang and didn't know any better...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"Those damned replicants. Have u retired any today?"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:40 AM
Way Outta Control

1. The Borla system is great, resists rust, salt, etc. If you can afford to do the job, do it once and foreget it.
2. Lot's of "mom and pop" exhaust shops will be able to sell you a very adquate cat back system for about $225 and that includes labor. Shop around. It will rust again...and you'll be back.
3. If the leak is in a pipe, as an example go eat a little Cambell's Tomato soup! Clean and cut top and bottom out of the can and cut it down the seam. Wrap it around the area of the hole on the pipe and use two clamps to keep it in place. Problem solved.
4. I agree.. stay away from Midas. They don't name it that for nothing.

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode