Sheesh! Almost fifty years!...OT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Sheesh! Almost fifty years!...OT

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I just posted about something that reminded me of just how long it has been since I first started wrenching. I can't remember exactly when I actually began seriously twisting wrenches but I built my first self-propelled vehicle;....a one-cylinder rear-engined rail job.....in 1954; I turned 11 that summer. I had to have my dad weld one piece for me, but the rest was all my own work. I had a Wisconsin engine off a hay loader, and some jackshafts and bearings from a milk separator. Popular Mechanics was my bible in those days.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Man, how time does fly.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 05:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Sheesh! Almost fifty years!...OT

ill post to this.. i also remember being something like 10 or 11 and robbing one of the lawmowers of their engine.. and putting it on a homebuilt wooden structure i called a go-kart.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].. ole gramps wasnt to thrilled when he saw the best lawnmower engineless.. hey.. it was the fastest..
but alas.. it wasnt that long ago.. somewhere's around 1979.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]..
sorry dave.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 05:14 AM
Way Outta Control

Too soon old... too late smart... story of my life....

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 03:46 PM

Hey..hmm I have a "riding lawnmower"thats just sitting in my garage.I want steal its engine and things and put it to use.How does one go about doing this?Couldnt I make a four wheeler or something?

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 04:04 PM
I Do This For The Glory

When we start having kids, I'd like to build a Jeep lawnmower, or even just a little jeep gocart, 4WD of course. Never built a gocart growing up (is there uch a thing?), but did rebuild my first motorcycle (frame up) at age 11.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 06:03 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

When I was 11, I hadn't yet discovered motors as a means to joy. I had just reached the zenith of spitball technology with a scoped six foot barrel made of tent poles powered by a 125psi compressor. You could hear those wads cut the air.

fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't remember exact age or date but it was pre-12 years old and probably about 10 years old - late 40's.

I built my first gun. Found a .22 rifle barrell that someone was using for a tomato plant stake. It was old and rusty, and probably no one even knew what it was. I cleaned it up and chopped it into pieces about 3" long. Rifling was still reasonably good.

Took sections of that barrell and put them in pieces of iron pipe. They didn't fit, so I melted some lead and poured it into the gap between the pipe and barrell. Next came a connector with a plug inserted into one end. The plug was drilled and the firing pin went into the hole in the plug. The connector then went onto the pipe that held the barrell. All that remained was hitting the firing pin and driving it through the plug and onto the cartridge.

To accomplish this I got another piece of pipe. All this was about 3/4", I think. May have been a full inch. The second piece of pipe went into the connector so that the lug end of the pipe plug went inside the newly installed pipe. A cap on the remaining end, a hugh nail with a spring went inside the back pipe. Pull the big nail (it extended through the cap), release it and that nail hit the firing pin.

BAM! It's a wonder it didn't blow up in my hand, but it didn't. The way I shot it was to wrap my arms around a tree so that the tree was between me and the "gun" just in case it did blow up. It was a little inconvenient for self protection. Had to find a tree that was in just the right place. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Also a bit hard to aim that way too. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

This gun came after my first projectile launcher. A fire cracker gun. Short piece of pipe with a cap on the end. Cap has a small hole drilled in it. Put a firecracker in the end with the fuse through the hole in the cap. A glass marble, some paper stuffing, light the fuse, and wait for it to shoot. At least with the .22 I didn't have to wait.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 08:14 PM

Hmmm, Doug, that takes me back to the days of the old Tennis Ball cannon. My parents would not let us have go cart or mini bike. Funny how 20 years later they were encouraging my brother to get my nephew a go cart, then the Honda four wheeler. Anyhow, they did see anything wrong with us playing will some old cans. I guess my dad thought we were going to play 'kick the can,' and not 'let's see this can kick!' We taped four 12 oz steel soda cans, with all the ends cut out, end to end. We then took a fifth can, put two more holes in the top, sort of in a triangular pattern. We then popped a nail hole in the bottom of that can. Adding it to the tube formed by the other cans, with the larger holes facing into the tube. Add a little lighter fluid through the nail hole. Spin the tube to spread the vapors, drop a tennis ball in the open end, point the tube, and put a match to the nail hole. I sure hated those aluminium soda cans. They just don't work for a good cannon.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 08:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

man with these stories.. its a wonder that any of us are still here.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode