Dented Oil Pan - What Now? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Dented Oil Pan - What Now?

Well, upon changing my oil last weekend, I noticed I put a good dent in my oil pan. What should I do? Take it off and pound it out? Buy a new one? What do I do to stop this from happening again? Are there oil pans that have skid plates on them? What about skid plates that attach to the frame and protect it that way? What kind of $$$ are we talking? Probably a good time to change the pan gasket too. Would it be worth changing the rear main seal? What about the timing over gasket? Thanks!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dented Oil Pan - What Now?

How bad is it dented? If its not caved in, or causing the pan to leak, just ignore it. There are oil pans with skid plates, my 258 pan came that way. You can buy aftermarket pans with skid protection, too.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 11:40 AM

it might possibly starve your oil pump pickup at certain angles, or under hard acceleration/braking depending on where the dent is in relation to the pickup.

you could leave it, just watch your oil pressure guage really closely when your at an angle or experienceing G forces.

pound it out, and reinstall it.

weld some 1/4 inch to it to make it a skidplate

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Is welding a plate onto it going to make it strong enough? Or should I fabricate some skid plate that spans over it connecting it to the frame? I have an old 258 oil pan with a skid plate. Will it bolt on?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well, the drain plug seems to leak a small, small bit. I want to atleast pop it off and pound it out. Think it'd be hard? Also, how hard are the other gaskets to replace? Especially the timing cover gasket. It's leaking very badly on my 4.0. Thanks!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 01:04 PM
Robert87yj

you don't want to weld a skid plate to the oil pan and the frame. The engine needs to be able to vibrate seperatly from the frame. Tying the skidplate into the frame could cause damage to the oil pan and possibly rip it off, well, not completly but it would damage it.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

No, I mean like a crossemember. It would just be bolted to each frame rail and go under the engine oil pan. It wouldn't be attached. What about that?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Look at Skid Row's engine skid plates. I believe that theirs has arms that bolt to the oil pan mounting bolts and the engine mounts. It also has some sort of cushioning between it and oil pan. Take a look.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 04:09 PM
Robert87yj

Whew, ok then it would be a good idea. I wasn't sure what you meant there. Mine has a skid plate spot welded to it. Looks like it came that way from the factory. You could probably make one out of some flat steel that you could bend up at the edges. You'd have to drop the pan and hammer out the dent anyway. I really like the between the frame rails idea...that is good. you could also bolt it to the tranny skid plate. But you'd have to remember to leave room and holes for changing the oil...hummmmm.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode