Best Aftermarket YJ Shackles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Best Aftermarket YJ Shackles?

What does everyone suggest for aftermarket shackles? I want about an inch of lift with them. Should I look into those fancy revolver ones or any others? I'm just gonna do a 1" body and shackle and squeeze a bigger tire until I get money for everything else. Thanks!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Best Aftermarket YJ Shackles?

Any opinions?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

No one has a clue? This is odd....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I made my own shackles way sronger than any thing i've seen on the market. Thay have allowed me to put 31x10.50's on my jeepyj the only place thay tuch is on the front spring pack when turning and in the back on the ruber flars when off roading (this only happens off road) my spring packs seem to be tired though thay were probly like this befor just more noticable now

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have heard more about ConFerr and Warrior shakles than any of the others. Don't do more than about 1 1/2" though, it will though off the camber of the axle. Makes steering squirley, also binds drivelines.

If you get them get the ones that have greasable shackles. If you plan on a suspension lift later then only get the ones that have just enough to clear the tires that you want(along with the body lift, probably 31"--right). Remember that a 1" shackle lift will actually only give you 1/2" of lift.

The revolvers are now being produced by Tera Mfg. I have them and like them fine on road. Haven't had a chance to test off road yet. Tera is producing them in mass quantities and while cheaper, you can't order them in specific lift heights. You could order them from Metal Made Rite, but expect to pay twice as much. I like mine in front, they will probably stay. Will evaluate the rear in summer, may go to a 3/4 eliptical setup kinda like the MORE buggy spring to combat the opening that the Revolver has.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 03:36 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I just ordered the revolvers directly from Metal Made Right, and they only charged me $330.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 03:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have the ones from M.O.R.E and i have yet to see anything more stout. check my site for pics

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Why get the greasable ones? Also, why only get ones that will just clear my tires if I'm doing a lift later?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The greasable ones will allow the shackle to pivot easier than a non-greasable one. Thus allowing your suspension to flex more and soak up the bumps better. They will also cut down, but not eliminate, some of the squeaking that your suspension will do when it is flexed out. Mine still squeak, but not near as bad as before. Ride is better.

As stated above, a lifing shackle will play with the camber of you front end. Which in turn will make steering squirley(that is the only way I know how to describe how it feels). A small shackle lift is alot like a body lift. Don't do it unless you have to, and only do it for the clearance that you will need. Not to say that a large shackle lift can't be done, but there are major steering trade offs. But no, a small shackle lift should not be a problem(Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 4.5" kit uses a 1" shackle lift). Keep it small and you will be happy later.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode