#$%*ing mechanic-why to do it yourself - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 07:17 PM
Robert87yj

#$%*ing mechanic-why to do it yourself

I took my 4.0 head (on a 4.2 block) off for the second time because of the antifreeze leaking. I started to use the dremel to get the crap the mechanic my dad knows put in there to seal up the exposed water jackets. I found out a few things. What ever compount he used was not epoxy. It had absorbed the antifreze and was green. When I dulled a dremel bit in the first hole I got the drill and a 1/16" drill bit and got most of the stuff out. The F&^%ing mechanic drilled holes from the outside of the head in to the water jacket. He then put some small threaded rod in through the hole. He welded up the exposed rod on the outside and then ground it flat. He also welded up one of the water jackets, but put whatever compound he used in the rest of them.

Well, I'm pretty pissed. My dad says he'll go and talk to him on monday about what he did, but more than likely I'll end up buying a new head. I haven't checked to see if the head is still flat, but it visibly isnot on the side where it was leaking, the side where the mechanic did his "magic" on the exposed water jackets.

I'll post an update after we talk to the mechanic.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 09:06 PM

Re: #$%*ing mechanic-why to do it yourself

yeah those damn (can I say that?) mechanics always out to screw you over, don't go back to him for a replacement, maybe just try and get him to give you your money back or something, you shouldn't loose money on this, report him if he is being a jackass.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode