Tranny-Transfer Case Lube Tranfer Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Tranny-Transfer Case Lube Tranfer Problem

I'm having a gear oil transfer problem between the T150 and Model 20 transfer case in my '79 CJ-7. Twice now, I've found lube leaking on the floor only to discover that the transmission is very low and the transfer case very full. I think it eventually leaks out the vent on the rear bearing cap of the transfer case (sound right?). I've drained the x-fer case to the correct level and filled the T150, but the problem returns. What could the problem be? All replies greatly appreciated!

Zeke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: Tranny-Transfer Case Lube Tranfer Problem

I just got off the phone with a friend and he suggested the cause is a bad seal where the transmission and transfer case join. Does this sound like a good possibility? I'd like to be reasonably sure before I tear it out, but I suppose that is inevitable. Apparently the lube in the the transmission and x-fer case are meant to be separate and not be able to flow back and forth.

Zeke

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 07:45 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, it's about a $5 part. Same thing with my SM465/NP205, there is a seal in the adapter mating the two to keep the two fluids separate.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

JEEPN,

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about the transmission rear bearing adapter and accompanying seal? I went ahead and pulled the unit and split the two gear boxes. I couldn't immediately see how oil could get from one to the other, but perhaps the seal on the bearing adapter explains it. Are you sure? Is there any other way oil could transfer? I see a port in the transfer case, but it's butted up against a wall on the transmission so I don't see how it could leak through. I plan to use RTV between the mating surfaces of the gear boxes upon reassembly. Is there anything special I should know on where to apply the sealant? Thanks a million!

Zeke

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 10:44 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Man, I wish I had the scanner running. I need to upgrade to Win98 or above to get it to work, only one more week...

It's on Page 2B-5 , Volume 2 (Chassis) of the Factory Technical Service Manual. It's an awesome set, if you ever find the manuals, pick them up, they're worth it. Heck, I don't even have anything in that era, but just having the manuals helps everyone out.

Yes, it's the "Mainshaft rear oil seal", between the "locknut and washer" and the "oil slinger", which is next to the bearing. You should be able to undo the locknut, remove the seal, put a new one in, and torque it to 150 ft-lbs. Then re-attach the case and torque those bolts to 30 ft-lbs. It says here "Be sure the seal is installed so the metal side of the seal faces the rear bearing and the seal lip faces away from the bearing and toward the rear of the transmission". It even has a nice diagram. It does say "Install mainshaft rear oil seal in rear bearing adapter using tool J-26852", which looks like a hollow pipe you tap the seal on with. It's got a funny shape though, so it's undoubtedly more exacting than that.

Yes, I'd use the RTV as well, but just on the outside to seal against the elements. Put it together with the RTV, then snug it up, allow the RTV to set, then tighten to torque specs.

If I can be of further help, please let me know.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

JEEPN,

Hey thanks! That's just the info I needed, especially about the correct way to install the seal. I'm going to replace the T/O bearing and other seals since the gear boxes are out.

Zeke

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 01:52 PM
I Do This For The Glory

No problem, glad I could help. When I get my scanner up and running I'll be able to post the entire page, so if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I didn't even have the "oil slinger" as described above and when I called around to find one, everyone said there is no such thing. I got ahold of the dealer who admitted that the part does exist, but was discontinued. They faxed the diagram showing the part and the OEM part number. They hooked me up with an outfit back East (relative to Oregon) and they had eight for $1 each! Apparently there was a tech. service bulletin way back when and the slinger was the fix for the oil transfer problem. So, if anyone is having this problem and needs the slinger, I've got a contact.

Zeke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode