Heater Motor Upgrade Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 02:49 PM
joeybcdt

Heater Motor Upgrade Problem

I don't think I can do the GM heater motor upgrade. My dual battery tray is pretty much sitting on top of the backend of the existing fan motor. I don't think I'll be able to get a 3.25" hole. Any suggestions?

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Heater Motor Upgrade Problem

What it the hole for? can you not take the batt's out make the hole then put them back? or is there something I'm missing here??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 03:32 PM
joeybcdt

The existing 2.75" hole is right on top of my battery tray. The batteries are already removed. I have to increase hole size to 3.25" - 3.50". The tray will be in the way. Maybe, this would be a good time to break out the 4" grinder. Is the GM motor REALLY worth the effort?

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

can the blower motor upgrade be done to YJ's too or only CJ's? The blower is my YJ is very weak

thanks

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 05:08 PM
joeybcdt

I have no idea Mangler. I've never even seen under the hood of a YJ. But, if I had to guess, I'd say yes. The problem I have is this is my 1st CJ. The heater has never worked since I've owned it. I have no idea if the fan is strong enough or not because I've never used it.

Joey

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, the blower motor upgrade is definatly worth the time and money (about 2 hrs and $25).
Yes, it can be done to YJs, they have the same lower heater housings as CJs.
I think 91 and newer YJs have stronger motors from the factory.

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 09:16 PM
Addict

Yes the blower is worth it. A few words of advice. When you remove the heater housing make sure and rebuild it ie. replace the seals and any cables that are broken. I would think that it would be way easier to elongate the holes on your battery than to try and move the motor down. You would have to drop the whole heater housing, because there is very little room around the squirrle cage inside the heater box. When I bought my gm unit it had a very tight fitting doughnut around the motor, you need to remove this or else you will have to make a lot bigger hole. Good luck.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 10:31 PM
Veteran

Just put in a dual battery tray last weekend (already had the heater motor upgrade) - just elongated the holes on the battery tray (tomken). LOVE the blower motor upgrade, kicks A$$ - definetly worth it. By the way the dual batteries were for my NEW HS9500i winch I bought me for christmas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (can you tell I'm excited about it?)
Happy Jeepin!
-Mel-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode