Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 12:41 PM
Posts: n/a
Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions

Just got orders to Beale AFB, California. 40 miles north of Sacremento. Any advise on what to do about emmissions testing with my 79 CJ-7 (304) with all original emmissions equipment removed! Being in the military I can keep my vehicles registered in South Dakota (has no emmissions testing). Does Cali have testing for non resident vehicles? I've heard that cops will pull you over and look for emmisions equipment. Any advise will be greatly appreciated, I'm moving in May.


Sponsored Links
post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 01:12 PM
Posts: n/a
Re: Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions

My home is 120 miles south of SAC in Merced. I did not have any problems when I drove my '76 CJ5 304 with no emissions, although it is pretty rural. When I was stationed in San Diego, I could not get my vehicle on base due to the requirement that in order to get a base sticker, I had to conform to at least Federal Emissions standards. I am now stationed in the Pacific NW which has no emissions in my county. Just my 2 cents. Check out for more information.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 04:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Southeast Iowa
Posts: 6,394
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I doubt if you will have a problem with the state law enforcement. The base sticker thing could be a hassle. We just got done re-smogging a '79 CJ 304 from ZERO, and it was a time-consuming and expensive proposition. We even had to change the intake to get back to an EGR valve. If you can just keep the SD plates, that's the best possibility. Some of the smog system items for our CJ had to be fabbed from scratch.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Costum many skins. I DO have all the smog diagrams and the part numbers if you (shudder) had to Do any refitting....heaven forbid![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
CJDave is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 04:52 PM
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions

Keep the driver's license and plates from your home state to avoid the Jest Coast emissions laws.
Military personnel are exempt from the 60 day residence law.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Junk Yard Genius is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:14 PM
I Do This For The Glory
JEEPN's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Nobleboro, Maine
Posts: 7,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions

No kidding. Up here, there are FL trucks running around with HUGE tires, and white brakelights, but they're legal, according to the Base (Navy) police, because it's legal in FL. If it had to undergo a Maine inspection, they'd fail it quick. I'd look into it more.

Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
JEEPN is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:19 PM
Posts: n/a
Re: Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions

When I moved to Sacramento about 5 years ago from Minneapolis I had no problem getting my '84 CJ7 smogged. But I had just put in a freshly rebuilt motor and had all of the emission stuff attached. Since I came from out of state I only had to comply with Federal emissions standards, not the CA standards. Back then they made you pay something like $300 when you got CA plates with an out of state car. Last year someone took the state to court and it was ruled that the fee was illegal. A couple of months ago I got a check for my $300 plus interest.

I have never heard of any cops checking for emissions stuff. I wouldn't worry about that. My vote would be to keep your Jeep titled in SD if you can - it will save you a lot of hassle.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 09:58 PM
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 197
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions

I just moved from AL to Monterey CA last month with 78 CJ5 360 dual exhaust no emmisions equipment in tow...all of my vehicles are registered in TN and will continue to be until I leave this Socialist state(June 2002). I have not had to mess with the emmisions requirements. The rules for military are just as described previously. Keep it registered in your state of legal residence and you have no problem. The base will probably require a smog check for a sticker, however, when you tell them you don't intend to register the vehicle in CA they will probably give you a PASS to get a sticker. FYI...not test required if 1974 or older or 1998 or newer.

78 CJ5 w/360
"measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe"
jeepsternaut is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 03:49 PM
Posts: n/a
Re: Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions

I was stationed in Ca. from 93-97 and I had to have the vehicles emission tested just to get a base sticker. Even with out of state tags. Don't know if it's still the same or not. I would suggest getting in contact with someone there for help.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 04:06 PM
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Got orders to California, any advise on emmissions

I asked the exact same question a few months ago when I thought I was getting orders to CA. Thankfully that fell thru and I avoided having to move out to the leftist (I mean left) coast. Anyway, most of what has been posted is correct. I called a small town DMV in CA (usually easier to talk to an actual person) and was told that if I plan to maintain my Alaska residency and tags that I would not need to pass CA emissions. But was also told about the base requirements, but this was base dependant. Check with the base you will be stationed at and if they require an emissions test find another one that does not and get a sticker from them. It does not matter what base the sticker comes from as long as it is current. Good luck and try not to get trapped out there for too long, the socialist attitude could be catching.

77cj7304QtracTH400, 31" BFG AT's, TFI upgrade
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces, parts Jeep
"They can have my guns, but they'll have to take them bullets first."
fratt77CJ7 is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome