Check this out! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 02:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check this out!

I was wondering if anyone makes a aftermarket air cleaner for the carter on my 88 YJ. I would like an open-air design and run a K+N. I have seen the square units in the weber kit and this would be an option if they fit on the carter and I could find one. Please help.

Viper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 07:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Check this out!

I have done what your talking about 2 different ways.
One way is to get the Mr. Gasket 7 in. chrome air cleaner assembly and the adaptor ring which reduces it to the Carter. It comes with an air filter,(not K&N), but I'm sure you can get a K&N to fit it.
Another way is to use a stock air cleaner assembly, the one that has the air cleaner right over the carb, and cutting off the outside ring, leaving just the upper and lower pieces. Block off any holes, get a K&N to fit it, and you have a cheap Hi Perf. air cleaner.
Both methods have worked well for me.

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 12:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks but where is a good place to purchase mr. gasket items? I went to there web site and they had some air cleaners that would work I just need a good place to buy from.

Viper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 12:38 PM
Addict

Auto zone carries mr gasket, if you have them where you're at.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I noticed you are from WI. I would advise against an open air cleaner in a colder climate. You are going to lose the warm air feature of your stock air cleaner, your Jeep will not run as well in cold weather, at least until thoroughly warmed up. I would advise a K&N in your stock air box, I ran one that way for many years.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brad, you are correct, but I run open air cleaners all the time in CT, (we have cold winters also) and there is no noticable difference in warm up time. Of course I never take off unless my vehicles are at least half warmed up. I suppose that If someone wants to take off seconds after start up that it would make a difference.
I also find that a lot of times the flappers aren't working like they're supposed to, considering all the hoses and wires that must be maintained. The worst case would be is if both flappers were closed and there would be a considerable ob struction to the air inlet.

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 12:20 AM
Way Outta Control

Having the warmer air does help at warm up. That's the reason for the heat pull-off vacuum motor in the intake of the air filter housing.

I've run a open air filter on my EFI 258 for 5 years and it's never failed to work. The temp has been down to -40F. I was dreadfully afraid of icing up of the TBI throat or the filter element. This has yet to happen. Were I bashing about in the water it may be different, but in the winter in St. Paul there's not a lot of open water.

I've scrapped the idea now of installing an S-10 filter assembly to regain the manifold heat from the riser. Someday I'll do it, but now it's not a priority.

Remember one other thing about cold air:

1. The cooler the air...
2. The denser the air...
3. "More" air is sucked into the cylinder...

In the winter it's the "poor man's supercharger" system at work!

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I called autozone he said that they can't get the adapter ring from Mr gasket anymore. Is there a good web site to order mr gasket stuff. Also if I choose to go with a stock assembly what jeeps have the one that will fit over the carter carb. Mine has the one over the valve cover.
Thanks,

Viper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode