Bead Lock Choices - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 01:11 PM
mudracer

Bead Lock Choices

I'm looking into bead locks and would like some input from those who have them. What do you like/not like about the brand or type you have?

Summit has Bart brand for under $50/pair. This is much cheaper than others I have seen/heard of. Is there a reason? Are they OK? I'm thinking of getting the weld on type for my 15 x 8" steel spokes with 38 x 12.5 Swampers.

Thanks for the help.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bead Lock Choices

I wish somone would buy those and try them out.I've been wanting to do the same thig for a couple of years now, but just havent done it from lack of advice.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 02:11 PM

THe Barts dont have a very thick outer ring, and are designed more for racin than rock crawling. My freind jake uses them and swears he wont weld up another set. He has bolt breaking problems like the King racing version that 4 wheel Parts Wholesalers was selling for a while(I ran a set of those nightmares a few months ago). I love the MRTs, they run about $135-$150, but the outer ring is twice asthick and they allow you to bolt outer ring snug down to the inner ring, this allows the bolts to snug up and does not fatigue them in the gap between the 2 rings. They are well worth the money, but they seem a bit back logged lately and can take a while to receive if you order them with any special back spacing. I would highly recomend the MRTs if you do the type of wheeling where you are airing down below about 8 psi, above that the Canyon Crawler steel wheels for 4 WPW work fine for retaining the tire on the rim, (at least with most tires).

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 02:50 PM

The ones that you can order from National Wheel & Tire are the Bart Wheels ring on an Eaton wheel.
The Eaton wheel is a good sturdy steel rim, but as H8 said the bart wheel bead locks outer ring is a little thin. Though I have not had any problems with mine.
If you look out at AustinJeepers site you'll see them in action on my little CJ.
I do have to say though, that the Marsh Racing (MRT) is a very sweeet bead locked wheel.

http://www.austinjeeper.com
Here's one shot!
[img]www.geocities.com/austnjpr/pics/twinbuttes/IMAGE040.jpg[/img]

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
A bad day wheelin'
will always beat a good day workin' [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 02:52 PM

I hate it when that happens!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Well you can see it @ pics/TwinButtes out on Austin Jeepers Site. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.austinjeeper.com

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
A bad day wheelin'
will always beat a good day workin' [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have been running the bartlock's on my rims for about 8 months now with no problems. like h8 said the outer rings are a bit thin but this hasn't caused any problems for me as of yet. i had an extra set of steel rims laying around so i spent $200 and now have a set of bead locks that work. if you have the $$$ i'd say go for the mrt's but like i said i havn't had any problems with my bart locks.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 01:34 PM
mudracer

Thanks for the replies guys! I am definitely not spending the bucks for MRT's considering they'll be beat on rocks, trees, etc. I know that I can buy good weld-on types for $50 each wheel (don't know the brand yet, but they're well made). Then I saw the Summit catalog with the Barts for under $50 per pair. Just wondered if the quality was there or not. I have a set of steel spokes already to put them on.

Brian - how was the $200 spent since the Barts go for about $100 for four? Maybe you included welding costs?

Just curious - when you guys have popped tires off the bead (before you got bead locks if you have them), what percentage of the time would you say it was a front, and what percentage a rear tire? I have never lost a rear, only fronts, but my fronts are carrying a lot of weight with big block and a 60, which may help force the tire off the bead when the tire is pushed to the side and/or steered.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 02:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run Champion aluminum beadlocks on aluminum rims (they come that way from Champion as a complete wheel), and they have held up very well and I have never had a single problem - including loosening. They have 24 5/16" SAE Grade 8 bolts on each ring, and although the ring is aluminum, it is thick and does bolt down snug like Jeff was talking about. I drove these on the street for about 40,000 miles too... These run about $235 a piece though... (I bought them used)

Chuck Hadley
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mudracer,
I have two different kinds of bead-locks that I run. One is a MRT set that I really like and the other set was made by FastWheels in Tulsa Okla. The FastWheels Company will make you two different kinds of bead-lock wheel, they will also put bead-locks on the wheels that you already own for around $75.00/wheel.
I have been very pleased with both sets. I do however run my wheels a little narrower than most so that it keeps the bead out of harms way as much as possible. While some guys are running 12" wide wheels with a 15" wide tire I will run a 10" so that they are tucked inside more. I have seen several guys with the 12" wide bead-locks bash a bead hard enough to bend it so that it dosen't seal anymore and have to beat it back into place with a hammer, so far I have never had that problem with mine since I run the narrower wheels.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mudracer, the $200 is because the "pair" means the inner (the one you weld on) and outter rings. not pair meaning for 2 wheels. they got me too when i ordered them i just ordered 2 "pair" thinking they were for 4 wheels but i was wrong so i had to order two more.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode