Help with TR upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Help with TR upgrade

I started to install the TR upgrade last night, and I'm having a little problem. I installed a msd 6a, blaster tfi coil, and cap rotor and wires. My 304 has the Centech wiring harness on it. The problem I'm having is that when I start it up, It won't turn off when I turn the key. I currently have the old + wire from old coil to red wire in the new msd harness, There were two wires that were on the old - terminal on the old coil, a yellow one for the tach, but I don't know what the other one if for, and it is not hooked up to anything now. any ideas would be appreciated.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help with TR upgrade

anyone, anyone, bueller, bueller.

Keith

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I beleive your alternator is backfeeding the system.
My MSD came with instructions and a diode(I think that's what it's called), IT goes in the tickler wire that goes to alt.

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah the diode is definetly the answer , MSD calls it engine run on ( I was expecting maybe the cachunk, cachunk type but it is actually engine won't shut off run on . Pay attention to the instructions though cause it only works installed one way.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

I will give that a try, which one is the trickle wire? My next question is my cap. I looked at the placement of my number one wire on the cap. It is located 2 spots counterclockwise from where the picture and the cap says its suppose to be. You know how the caps have the number 1 on top of it, mine is over 2. The cap and the picture in the book both match, could I have my timing all screwed up??? It seems to run fine, but has a backfire which I thought was because of an exhaust leak. And where does the old - wire from the coil plug into the new harness??

Keith

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 05:04 PM

Get the diode at Radio Shack. The package should cost about $2.

The wire you want to install the diode in is the #1 or A wire (usually smaller of the two) on the alternator Two wire plug.
'79 had the Delco 10-SI alternator, so there will be four connection points to your alternator.

2 on a plug that goes in the side of the case, marked on the back of the case A & B or 1 & 2. The first one should be connected to a white wire on the #1 terminal, and a slightly heavier red wire should be hooked to the #2 terminal, both in a plug type connector..

1 on the back, marked 'BATT', easy to identify because it's the one that the heavy red wire hooks to.

1 on the back, unmarked heavy bolt type terminal, that a ground wire should be hooked up to, but probably isn't.

Cut the wire close to the alternator and install the diode. If the engine still runs on, reverse the diode.
When the system works the way you want it, waterproof the connections as well as you can.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The tickler wire is the small wire that is in the plug -in connector, I think it,s brown.
It doesn't matter where #1 wire is on the cap as long as the firing order is correct and the rotor points to that terminal when #1 cyl. is at TDC of compression stroke. If it runs good I'd say everythings ok, it's just that someone put in the dist. a couple of teeth out and compensated for that by changing wire positions.

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

HEY IT WORKS, IT REALLY WORKS!!! Thanks to all that helped. It turns out that I had the diode in backwards. Well finished up today by installing the new plugs and cleaning up the wires. Turned the key, and VROOOOOOOOM and wouldn't you know, when I turned the key off the truck actually turned off. hehe Thanks again.

Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode