D20 Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

D20 Question

76 CJ5 304/T150/D20. Removed tranny/tcase for swap and was cleaning the D20 and found something I think is wrong. On top of the front bearing cap that houses the shift rails are two holes (side by side) that are plugged with two plastic plugs. I removed the plugs and I can see the shift rails, and when I manipulated the shifter, I can see the slots in the rails as they go forward and reverse. Is this where the poppet ball springs and poppet balls go? Where the plastic caps sit in, it is threaded, but like I said no plastic caps and/or springs or balls. I am a little confused here. Did someone forgot to reinstall or lost these? Will not having them cause problems? As Always, your answers are valuable.

Thanks

I included a picture and the area I am talking about is highlighted in blue.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-297404-dana20.jpg (55.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 01:36 AM
Nickmil

Re: D20 Question

Those threaded holes are for switches to light a light to tell you when you're in 4 wheel drive, low range, etc. Most Jeeps didn't have this option so the factory put in the little plastic plugs. make sure when you put them in you use a DAB of sealer around them or water and mud will seep in around them into your transfer case. International wasn't as cheap and on their 20 transfer cases that didn't have the option they used a threaded steel plug. The detent springs and balls are actually on the other side of the shift rail. If you look close at the casting you can usually see the bulge on the outside where these are at. Good luck. Nickmil.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 07:32 AM

Ditto. How come Jeep put the little 4X4 setup light in the speedo but didn't take the time for the switch? Would have been nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could a guy replace the plastic plugs with a threaded metal one instead?

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 02:23 PM
Can't Get Enough

'79 D20 didn't have switch. '85 D300 transplant w/twin stick did. Now speedo light lights with front axle in. I think same speedo used w/ Q-Trac that did have switch.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't see any reason why you couldn't put in couple of threaded plugs if you can find the right size. Those little plastic plugs are pieces of sh*t. Just make sure your dont thread the new metal plugs too far into the housing as to interfere with the shift rails.
Shain

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 10:36 PM
Nickmil

Absolutely right all who have posted so far. Find the plugs from an International Scout with the 20. They fit fine. I've not found another plug to fit yet without having to rethread the holes. Doesn't mean there isn't one but I haven't found one yet. You can also get the switches and wire them up however you want. I know some people who have wired them up with auxiliary lights to let them know exactly what gear they are in(usually with twin stick conversions). If you find a plug that readily threads in and does not interfere with the shift rails please let us know. Thanks and good luck. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode