sell the CJ for a YJ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sell the CJ for a YJ??

ok, guys, i need some advice here...i'll see if i can keep it short...basically, i'm thinkin of sellin my cj (which i payed next to nothin for) and buying a YJ instead. As i see it, i have two options: I could fix up the old CJ, but i know it's gonna cost a ton, and i just don't have the cash, and fear that i may never get it back on the road. So i'm thinkin of pickin up a older, cheap YJ, and build it up instead. Rust is a huge concern here, and I just don't have the time or cash to do a body swap, so why not start with something with an alright body? I was planning on putting an entire YJ interor in the CJ, minus the dash, but why not start there already? I know most of you don't, but I like the YJ dash, much more practical, a line of guages, instead of ones scattered all over the place Like the only major expense i have in my cj is my 33" michelins, and they can be put on a YJ. It just seems that a YJ will cost less in the end, be more reliable, and even be little safer (better road manners, "sport" bars). Oh yah, there's also the fact that i have no place to work on my 7, and it's freezin here with two feet of snow, and i do need a vehicle soon (april)

soo...what's your vote? keep the CJ-7, or sell and buy a YJ???

one more thing, how much do you think a 82 cj-7 laredo is worth?or better yet, how much would you pay for it? like it runs, new oil pump, new back brakes, the t-5 was rebuilt a while ago, it's got a hard top and doors, but other wise, it ain't that impressive, lot's of rust in the usual places. thanks a bunch!!!!

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 07:41 PM
Old Hand

Re: sell the CJ for a YJ??

I think its obvious you should go for a YJ. As a CJ owner I must admit that I have thought about getting a YJ before. The frames are sturdier, bodies usually in better shape and less problems. Fuel injected engines are good, I would rather have a fuel injected 4cyl than a typical Carter BBD 6cyl. Since you don't have a place to work on your rig thats a big problem, you can't do a body swap on your CJ and you couldn't do an axle swap on your YJ.
You could probably get 2500 for that CJ around here, depending on how bad the rust is

Mark

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: sell the CJ for a YJ??

Theres jeeps for all kinds of different people. Some like the simplicity of the cj cab, others prefer the wrangler to their liking. Not to mention all the other jeeps out there. One of the guys in my club has an 87 Cherokee another a scrambler, another a cj-5 another has a wrangler. All seem to do the trick. The only question I had for myself was do I want an open top or not. Which I did. My parents had a CJ when I was growing up, and now I own a CJ-7. I've built my CJ-7 up to what my dream jeep would be (even though it isn't quite finished yet) If your drawn more towards the Wrangler than go for it, might as well cut your losses now and start over. As I understood from your email you don't have the finacial resources to make the CJ what you want out of it. Don't get caught up in "the more simple it looks, the more tough it is" scheme. I haven't seen one jeep yet, that couldn't conqure what another model could.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode