My shifter pulled out of the transmission! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My shifter pulled out of the transmission!

Has this ever happened to anyone before? I went out to start my Jeep this morning, and everything seemed fine. After about 5 min. of warming up, I threw it in reverse and backed out of my drive way. But when I went to put it in 1st, the shifter felt really limp. I somehow managed to get it in second gear, drove back in my driveway, and turned her off. The shifter is completely pulled out of the transmission, and is loose in the rubber boot. Wonder what happened?
Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Jed Smith
'80 CJ7,258 w/TR,4" spring lift + 1" shackles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 03:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: My shifter pulled out of the transmission!

Well put the damn thing back in and leave it alone!

Just kidding. I have had this happen, but mine snapped off at the base. It's easy to find out what's going on, just unbolt the tranny cover from inside the jeep, then undo the bolts ontop of the tranny itself (the 4 around the shifter, if its the tranny I think it is, your profile doesn't say), lift it straight up. I'll bet your shifter fork or stud (depending on what tranny it is), popped out of its slot. You'll see better when you take a look at it. I have several manuals as well, so we should be able to help you out.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 06:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Had that happen at 40mph entering a parking lot. Went to downshift and pulled the shifter straight up into the cab. The cap that screws the shifter to the tranny had come loose and allowed the alignment pins to spit out. Spent $5 ordering new pins through the dealer and was back in action.

fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I think that's what happened. I took the knobs off, unscrewed the rubber plate, and found that one of the pins are gone. Best way is to order them through a dealer? How did you get the thing back in? I kept trying to get it back in there, but it just pops back out. Hmmm... I'll order the new pins tomorrow.

Jed Smith
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also had that happen right after I bought my Jeep (feb 99) the guy told me it had always felt loose so I thought
I would just live with it. But a week later,it pulled out. I removed the boot and on my trans(T-5) there is a square
shaft coming out of the trans, The shifter has a square end on it that slipps over the square shaft on the trans.
So what I did was drill two holes one on each side( not opposing) and tapped them to fit two short bolts. I sliped
the shifter back on , tightened the bolts and it is tight as can be! Put the boot back on and I havent had any
trouble.

1986 CJ-7

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also had that happen right after I bought my Jeep (feb 99) the guy told me it had always felt loose so I thought
I would just live with it. But a week later,it pulled out. I removed the boot and on my trans(T-5) there is a square
shaft coming out of the trans, The shifter has a square end on it that slipps over the square shaft on the trans.
So what I did was drill two holes one on each side( not opposing) and tapped them to fit two short bolts. I slipped
the shifter back on , tightened the bolts and it is tight as can be! Put the boot back on and I havent had any
trouble.

1986 CJ-7

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My advice is to cut back on the Wheaties in the morning, dude. You're apparently over-developed. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

DesertRat

90 YJ, 258 I6. Weber 32/36, the rest is stock Sahara.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:31 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The same thing happened on my CJ. It just got loose the pin fell out. The ford T-18 I installed, had a pin and a ground off 1/4" drill bit in the bottom of the tranny. We just happened to have some 1/4" stainless steel rod at the shop, worked great.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh man, I just called up the dealer, and they said the best they could do was the WHOLE HOUSING cover . . . for a hefty $200. Not what I want to do. So maybe I'll try the 1/4 inch rod trick? Any other opinions? Will take all of them . . .

Jed Smith
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 02:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

For the T-5, Chrysler had repair parts, a plastic/rubber sleeve and a metal springy looking thing(technical). Only put it together last 'cause it's a B**** to take apart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode