Help before I kill someone(please) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Help before I kill someone(please)

I'm changing my throwout bearing, and last time I just put the jack under the skidplate and took it all off as one. This time I figured I'd take off the skid plate and do it that way. Well, all was rolling along smoothly until the tranny started falling off the back end of the jack. I tried to get it as balanced as possible, but not enough I guess. I should have drained the x-fer case fluid but I couldn't figure out how.
So, my problem is this. My tranny is half on the ground and much to my dismay, very heavy. So I figure that my one option is to separate the tranny and x-fer case. I'm doing this alone cause anyone who can normaly help me works 9-5 and it's dark out at 5.
I have never separated tranny and x-fer case before and the thought of this makes me rather uncomfortable. If anyone can give me some advice I will love them forever, okay, maybe I'll just buy them a six-pack.
Guess I should mention that it's a t-5 w/ Dana 300
Thanks

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:14 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Help before I kill someone(please)

You should not need to seperate the transfer case and transmission. You just need to support the weight, balance the two assemblies while moving everything back... Follow this thread for some ideas:

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...collapsed&sb=5

The last post from Kahuna puts to good use the information in the posts, using the transmission tunnel as a support. I've also used the roll-bar in the past... it's just a little "messier." Using a couple of threaded rods and cables around the frame and transmission and a jack to right the transfer case you can balance and slide back the assebmlies. You can do it without unbalancing them or dropping them on the ground. Check it out, you'll be back in business in no time.

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 07:24 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Find two droplights, a case of beer, the economy pack of ibuprophren, and two very butch or stupid helpers.

First offer them the case of beer if they will help balance and muscle the tranny back in place, then give them the case and the meds...they'll need them

I actually have replaced a T150/D20 full of oil without the benefit of any lifting device. It took me and another guy. We got it up on our chests and then benched it up to the bellhousing where another friend put in the bolts. i DO NOT recommend this method.

When I swaped my T150 for a T18, we had the same problem only MUCH heavier. What we did was we built cribbing (wooden blocks laid like a cabin) on a dolly under the tranny and used a hydralic (I know theres a "u" somewhere in that word) jack to lift the tranny just enough for the next layer of wood. Once high enough, we simply rolled the tranny in place.

Third option...get a tranny jack.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:08 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Fourth option:

After helping my brother with his T-18 swap, I vowed when I did mine, the body would be off. Sure enough, it was easy and a joy to swap in that monster of a tranny/transfer suspended from the ceiling. Sorry I can't be of further help, but I like <font color=blue>ExtinctJeep</font color=blue>'s option...

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you do decide to separate the trans and t-case, its a very easy job on that combo. Just upbolt the two and pull them apart. Just make sure before you put them back together you replace the oilseal that is in the back of the trans where the t-case input shaft mates it, otherwise you will get a leak. If you feel taking it apart is the best option, NO BIG DEAL, there is no mystery there and it will take you 10 minutes to put it back together. BTW, the drain plug for your t-case is an allen on the bottom, the trans is a plug on the side.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I managed to muscle that sucker onto the jack a little stabler than last time. It took a few hours and many many many curse words, but I got it. Thought I was gonna blow my elbow out at one point. Once I got it up, I drained it. Then once I got it lined up and moving foward, the back end got tipsy again, so I took the bungee advice and put a bungee around the frame and around the yoke thingy and that held it stable till I could get it back in the tranny. I tried using a board across the hole in the floor and bungee's from that to pick up the x-fer case, but no such luck. I got it though. I'm sore as hell today and I started snowing like crazy so I can't even reatach my drive shafts and put the shifters back in. Oh well at least I got it.

One more thing, I'm changing the u-joints on the front drive shaft and one end is pretty smooth, but it moves somewhat tough, and the other end it very sticky, even with a new u-joint in there. I thought maybe the yoke got bent, but I have no idea. Could anyone measure the gap it thiers for me? I would really like to have 4wd on my trek through the mountains of MD and West Va.

Thanks again guys, especially you Brad, you always seem to bail me out.

Sean

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 04:16 PM

You know what we forgot to mention? Take the inspection plate off the tranny hump and sit a 4x4 piece of lumber from the winshield frame to the roll-bar. Tie a rope, chain, ratchet-strap or whater to this and hook it to/loop it around the tranny to help hold it in place. I remeber someone doing this a while back on here...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode