Help! Jeepchick on the warpath - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Help! Jeepchick on the warpath

Here's the deal: one daily driver Jeep CJ-7, one project CJ-8, and one Ford conversion van family vehicle/daily driver/tow vehicle. My wife used to work from home and almost never drove but now commutes to work. She refuses to drive the Jeep mainly due to the slightly quirky handling (I figure I'll try a new steering box and fancy schmantzy steering shaft and see if that helps). She 'informed' me last night that she's sick of driving the van paying for repairs (it's in the shop right now) and wants to trade it in (we still have just shy of a year of payments left) and get a car and is demanding that this be done within the next 6 months. Of course I don't really want to do this, but at the same time I don't want her any more continuously ticked-off at me than she already is over the time money invested in the project Jeep. My primary issue is that this scenario leaves me without a tow vehicle...the whole thought process was that the van functioned as a luxurious family vehicle with plenty of room amenities and was very capable of towing as well...two birds with one stone. The only thing that I can think of that would at least come close to both of us getting what we want is to lease a car for her right at the end of my six month 'deadline' (assuming I'll get the finance approval for this since the van house are financed in my name since she doesn't make much money and her credit stinks) so that I've only got a few months of belt-tightening to make two car payments. This would get her her new car (though she'd probably start complaining about having 4 vehicles) and I'd still have the van for long trips, towing, and as a daily driver when I need to work on the CJ-7. A few other random thoughts are to go on and trade in the van on a new car and pick up an older 1/2 ton or better pickup or SUV that's got a solid body and at least halfway decent drivetrain, have a fresh rebuilt engine dropped in it, and run that for towing/hauling/whatever and let her complain about the time money I spend on that. Help! My handful of friends are *useless* since they'd just tell me to get rid of the Jeeps (I did that once for her, ain't doin' it again) which, of course, would make the most sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help! Jeepchick on the warpath

Here are 2 choices:
1) Lose the CJ-7, use the van for your driver, and get her a car.
2) Trade the van for a car and talk your wife into starting a tow-vehicle-rental-fund for when you need to tow. If you only tow once or twice a month, it would probably be less than the van payment, you don't have to worry about breakdowns, and you still can tow.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got rid of my ole wench 21 years ago, ever since then me and the kids (there all grown now) did what ever we damn well pleased, AND, we're still doing it! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Later.

Bird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Been there, done that!! And as you know from experience it isn't any fun giving up your toys for the wife only to hear them start complaining about something else (never ends).
I would talk the wife into looking at the new Ford F-150 Super Crews with the short beds, this will give plenty of room for the family, good tow vehicle, and she would look good driving it (trade the van in on the new Super Crew)
I did this with my wifes new Cougar on a F-350 Ford Crew Cab deully with a powerstroke. After a couple of days she took over the truck and loved driving it even though it is one huge beast and man can it pull the jeeps on the trailer.

Just my 2 cents

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:19 AM

My wife went from a Chevy Caprice to a GC.
She loves being up higher!
Plus, I took her to a Jeep Jamboree and insisted she do all the driving to understand it's capabilities.
She's still afraid of snow but is more confident on bad roads.
So get her a SUV big enough to haul and you'll both be happy.
That's why the call them 'utility vehicles'!
Just make sure it has air bags for her and your boy.
BTW: Rod, glad to see you did a little work on your Jeepskate site.
Cool suspension mods!!!!
I just got a new (1984) good, strong, New Mexico CJ-7 frame and I'm eagerly waiting for you to get all the wrinkles out before going to work on it.
Good luck with the Ms.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I thought about selling the CJ-7, but it wouldn't gain me much especially in it's current condition (needs an engine rebuild and bodywork), plus it's one of my 'gotta have' vehicles...an '86 Laredo.

That second idea doesn't sound half bad. Once up & running at full swing, one tow a month would probably be it at the most with one summer trip out west or down to Tellico

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:00 PM

Another idea besides the GC in an Explorer with the V8. Smaller and easier to drive than the van, but still able to tow a decent load.
I'm in the same sort of position with my wife. She wants some $38K GC and I want a Motor Home...

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Her main thing with the van is the *size*. I'd need a 1/2-ton crew cab or similar SUV which is right around the same size as the van for towing...just a tad less length...which leaves me in the same boat. She sees all her little young co-workers with their Cavaliers, Sunfires, etc. and wants something more along those lines. I already told her I was buying any little sh*tbox...whatever replaces the van has to be at least mid-size and have some toys in it since it'll be the family vehicle. I think the most I could get her into is a Cherokee. And boy, is she gonna hear about it if she doesn't keep it clean or take it in for maintenance (she's washed the van once in 10 months of driving it and thought that it was *my* responsibility).

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Would a V8 GC or Exploder be adequate for towing a Scrambler on a trailer (brakes on the trailer of course)?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:42 PM
Old Hand

My brother was in the same predicament - needing a tow vehicle plus a Jeep. He bought the wife a shortbed quad cab Chevy 3/4 ton with a monster Diesel. It has the two "fake doors" I call em. It halls the kids and pulls the Jeep and boat.

She had been driving a Ford van which was a piece of crap after owning an Expedition that was a piece of crap - the Ford dealer took the expedition back and gave them the Van then took it back and offered to buy them whatever they wanted.

She loves the Chevy - it has a better turning radius than the Van or the expedition.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode