V12 or V8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:53 PM
Reaver

V12 or V8

This may be a dumb question but has anyone tried to stuff a V12 into a Jeep?

Is it possible?

There are lots of Jaguar V12 engines really cheap over here and its got me thinking. V12 or V8?

Cheers.
Nick

Hey, I`m new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: V12 or V8

last year(i think it was last year) there was a Tj with a viper engine in last years fourwheeler comp. i don't think it did to well. it was fast though, but not the fastest

"if someone goes out and kills a bunch of kids, then kills themsleves because some a$$hole with a guitar told them to, they must be a$$holes themselves"
-Pete Townshend, The Who
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:11 AM
Reaver

Thanks q9z,

But I`ve just found the answers on the web:

The only widely available V12 engine is the Jaguar 5.3l SOHC unit. In England it is quite a popular choice for cobra replicas but has little to recommend it. Aftermarket versions up to 7.0l are available.
It is quite heavy has to sit further forward than a V8
It is expensive to rebuild and requires various special tools and skills.
It gives around 275 horsepower in standard form and is very expensive to tune.
You get the choice of unreliable Lucas fuel injection or performance strangling Stromberg carbureters. Both are ugly and the only option is to fit six downdraft webers at some cost.
It is awkward to work on, especially in a small engine bay.

Hey, I`m new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 05:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,

As far as the V8 Vs. the V12...I'd personally say that the eight would be cheaper to get and maintain, find spare parts for, and provide plenty of power. I've got a 304 in my cj-7 and it performs very well behind the stock 3 speed. too much power can be detrimental at certain points as certain other components will get broken more quickly due to higher stress ect.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 07:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave Cristy (sp?) of the Minnisota Vikings had a Viper V-12 stuffed into a TJ. There was an article on the web somewhere. 450HP!!! I wonder how many axles he's gone through?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:33 AM

I remember reading that article, he had a geared-up Dana 60 in the back, the thing looked rediculous.

'74 CJ5/5.9L Holley 4bbl/3spd/31"/not running
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is the link.
http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1999/03/

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:31 AM

I had a V-12 Jag many years ago. I lived in Germany at the time. It was the best car (note, not Jeep) that I ever owned. In England, it will be easy to find a competent mechanic to work on the engine. My engine and Mechanic never failed me. I had a daily commutte of 30 miles, and made the run 6 days a week, on the Autbahn. My average speed was 100 mph. The automatic behind the engine was a TH400, which leads me to believe it be possible to bolt it to the Jeep TH400. A few folks over here yanked the V-12 in the Jag Coupes and replaced it them Corvette engines.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Jaguar V12 is most likely too long to fit under the hood of a Jeep. The Viper engine is actually a V10, not a V12 and it's a tight squeeze. The Jag engines are very long. It is true that a Jaguar V12 will bolt up to a Chevy TH400. The shop I worked for in college replaced the V12 in a Jag XJ12 with a small block Chevy engine as it was much cheaper than rebuilding the V12. There was a lot more room in front of the engine after the swap. Unfortunately the TH400's in Jeeps don't have the same bolt pattern as a Chevy TH400 and the V12 will not bolt up to them.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 AM
Journeyman

Dinosaurs and digging up bones! The Jag V12 will fit under the hood of a wagoneer with some work. The nailhead version TH400 used till '73 was also used by Jag with an adapter ring like AMC and Rolls Royce did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode