Bad YJ Fuel Pump Symtoms ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bad YJ Fuel Pump Symtoms ???

Hey Guys,

I have a humming sound coming from the rear of my rig. I havent been able to directly hunt it down, but it sounds like its coming from behind the rear seat. It sounds like a struggling little engine or something. Is this the sound of a fuel pump going bad? I have a 2.5L TBI 4 banger

any ideas?

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bad YJ Fuel Pump Symtoms ???

repost

anyone?

[b]Boston Mangler
See It At:
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has the sound changed since you bought this rig? The pump is in the tank, so you are in the right location... Turning the key to the on position ought to cycle the pump for a second or two to build pressure. Is this the hum you hear?

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 01:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>>>>Has the sound changed since you bought this rig?
***** no, i have only had it on the road for 3 days

>>>>>The pump is in the tank, so you are in the right location... Turning the key to the on position ought to cycle the pump for a second or two to build pressure. Is this the hum you hear?
***** The hum i hear is constant while the rig is running. Once the engine stops running the humming stops

Any ideas? Pump on the way out? I dont have a rear wiper so thats not it.

[b]Boston Mangler
See It At:
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 02:38 PM
Way Outta Control

That little bugger is going to make noise... and the louder the noise the closer to failure it is.... That's the bad news. The good news is that an electric fuel pump ALWAYS makes noise. That's the nature of the beast. When the pump is in good condition you'll hear it humm... If the pitch starts to change or flucuate, then be worried. At this point, don't. It's not worth your time. Just keep an ear attuned to the sound. You're enough of a motorhead that you'll hear the change and have a "gut" reaction to it. That's the day you want to plan on changing it out... before it dies completley.

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 03:54 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Man, what is it with you and jeeps? First they don't run right, then you spend all your time/energy/money on them, then lose jobs in the middle (twice), then scrap the project and start over with a mint stock rig, that has suddenly developed problems? Are you kidding? You are in serious need of a warranty my friend, one of those 6 year/100,000 mile jobs that are bumper to bumper.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok heres what i found

i clicked the key on (all the way but not to start)
and it hum for a sec or two
then once it starts and runs the humming comes back. It is the EXACT same humming as when i turn the key on. Sounds like the pump is running. Should it always be humming the same way as it does when the ky is turned on? is this normal? sorry, i am new to YJ's and dont have anything to compare it to

thanks for any info

[b]Boston Mangler
See It At:
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>>>>Man, what is it with you and jeeps? First they don't run right, then you spend all your time/energy/money on them, then lose jobs in the middle (twice), then scrap the project and start over with a mint stock rig, that has suddenly developed problems? Are you kidding? You are in serious need of a warranty my friend, one of those 6 year/100,000 mile jobs that are bumper to bumper.

***** Yeah i know. Seems like i have had a 2 year string of bad luck with these things. I think most of the problems are ironed out and were caused mostly by newbie error. If it wasnt for this board, i probably woulda lit the cj on fire by now. I have learned a great deal from you guys, and made some great friends.

When ya wanna wheel Mark? I am ready!!

[b]Boston Mangler
See It At:
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:01 PM

An electric pump is either on or off; it doesn't vary in rpms so the sound should be the same whenever it's on. Like LEVE said, when it changes sounds get a new one and drop the gas tank!

Ken

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 07:55 AM
I Do This For The Glory

We had a VW do this as well. Everyone so far is right, when it starts getting louder, it's starting to wear out. It'll go fine for awhile, then it'll just quit and leave you stranded. You shouldn't be able to hear it over the engine running. Water pumps are the same way.

Hey, I still have the TJ (which is still under warranty for another 16K miles!), let's go! Of course, we may need chains this time of year, but I have an idea on building some. I've had a hard time finding the side link chain, I have TON'S of twisted link for the tread area already. My thought is to use cable, with the standard chain binders to link them together.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode