MSG Ignition Stuff - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MSG Ignition Stuff

While browsing one of the local auto stores, I noticed this MSG ignition system. I have a X-mas gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. What exactly does it do and is is worth installing. I'm trying everything to increase my idle performance on my stock wrangler.
Thanks
Ted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: MSG Ignition Stuff

Well it depends on how much they want for it, which MSD unit (MSD6A is fine for a jeep), and there are other MOD's that you will need to do. Do a search on this site on Team Rush upgrades, MSD or post the question to Team Rush, CJDave, or others that have done the upgrade. I did it to my '77 CJ7 with alot of help from TR and others. Ask, I bet you will get more help than than you can stand.

MSD6A is about $175 area, ignition upgrade is about $100 or so if you do the work yourself. Hope this helps, if not repost, and if I am wrong...... You will get the right answers shortly.

Regards,

Safe Driving!!

John
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

MonoSodiumGlutamate won't do your Jeep engine any good.

Couldn't resist(even though I can't spell either). Do a search on the TR upgrade. You will get a nights worth of reading, and learn more about the MSD unit and the ignition systems of Jeeps, TFI(Ford), and HEI(Chevy) than you will want to know.

Do the search, do the reading, it's all already here.

But to actually answer your question, yes the MSD is worth the money. Do it with the TR upgrade and look into the Nutter Bypass for your 258 and you will have an almost rock solid engine. Swap out that Carter BBD for a Motorcraft 2100 and most all of your 258's stock problems will be solved.

In fact if you upgrade the iginition to TR and MSD, swap BBD for 2100, and do Nutter Bypass on computer it should cost less than $350, not bad if you ask me.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry I forgot to note that the MSD/Team Rush upgrade produces as promised and reported.... Quicker starts, SOOTHER idle, IMPROVED fuel mileage, MORE Torque & HP. All these were QUITE noticeable on my CJ7. If you want to make your little engine PURRRRRR.... just do the upgrade.. You will be glad you did - I am.

Regards,

Don't Roll IT

John
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just a word of caution....I installed an MSD6A ignition in my YJ, and it left me stranded on the way to work in rush hour only a few days after I installed it. Make sure you have an alternate way to wire the system back to the duraspark ignition in case this happens to you. I learned the hard way on this one...I did, however, use the MSD TFI coil for my TR upgrade, and that is working out great....Just something to think about.

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode