NV4500 TRANS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NV4500 TRANS

Ican get a NV4500 trans installed in my 87YJ for $2300.00 including any/all adapters needed.Is this a good price?I'm going to have to replace my peugot ba/10 soon anyway so I need to decide if I should do it now even though money is tight w/son's room/board tuition due.Don't know how long he'll have the trans at this price.Any input will help.Thanks,rh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NV4500 TRANS

That is a pretty good price, if the transmission is new. If it is a rebuilt one then it is an adverage price. If it is used and not rebuilt, then it is highway robbery.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some of the NV4500 have a lower granny gear in them than others. I don't have my tranny info with me at this location to break it down for you but, if the NV4500 has the higher granny gear (numerically lower), you may not be getting what you think that you are paying for. Check the off-road.com tech pages for more info.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I second Jasons post, I would like to add however that you need to be aware of
what adapters they are going to use. There are a few different combinations that
will have different overall lenghts. The best (shortest) overall is with the adapter
bell housing not the bell housing adapter. The latter will re-use your stock tranny
bell housing and add a one inch (or there abouts) plate that adapts the old bell
housing bolt pattern to the NV4500. There are two problems with this set up.
1) It gives you a longer overall drivetrain length (that means a shorter drive shaft
and steeper drive line angles that equal vibration and short U-joint life)
2) You end up keeping the stinky internal slave cyl. (yuck!)

Just be informed at what you are getting.
Good luck.
-Gus-

90YJ 4.2L NV4500 456:1 33's Twin ARB's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only ones that come with a 6.34 low gear are GM up to 94. All Dodges used a 5.61 low range, and so did GM after 94. The 6.34 tranies are very rare, and if it has any bad gears, they are very hard to find. The 6.34 tranny can sell for $400-$500 more then the others. If it is an AA tranny, it is the 5.61, but it is new.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode