How are revolver shackles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How are revolver shackles?

I'm thinking on getting these, cause I like the on-road ride of my 2.5" lift but would like more articulation off-road. How well do they work? What issues will I have due to travel? Thanks.

'91 YJ, I-6, 3" lift, 31s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: How are revolver shackles?

Ok, I know from reading the profiles that some of you are using these. Are there any opinions, experiences?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do a search on this board - you'll find plenty. It seems they tend to open up on steep inclines (bad) and take extra care to work right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 09:39 AM
Robert87yj

Over on the Jeeps Unlimited board someone posted about breaking one of the new ones that Terra Mfg. made.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ok.. I'll say it... I thnk they suck. they dont give you really any USEFULL articulation, and i have also sen them break, unfold wrong, all kinds of poopy things.. all that and they are WAAAYYYY too expencive for what you get.. put that money into custom springs and see where that gets you.

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 04:34 PM

I have tried them off and on over the last couple years and always with the same crappy results. They are very unaffective at keeping traction to the ground on steep climbs. I just tried and removed mine again about 2 weeks ago.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks, guys. I'm starting to see the picture. Are Hypershacles behave the same way or are they any better/worse?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 09:14 AM
Robert87yj

If you compared a hyper shackle and a revolver the only real difference is the pivot on the revolver.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 10:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have them, with mixed but overall favourable results.

Positives:

They do give you more articulation. There is of course a lot of debate about whether that articulation is USEFUL or not, useful being defined as the dropping tire having weight or pressure on it. On a ramp they give you more articulation.

The don't affect road manners much.

negatives:

They are expensive.

They are said to unhinge too much going up steep inclines. This hasn't been my experience, but I don't point and shoot at too many rocks faces I don't know I can climb (and there just plain aren't many around here). In most other situations they do help articulation (my opinion).

They seize up if not lubed REALLY often. This happened to me.

The Tera ones have been known to break.

personal Experience:

I have found that they do give useful articulation. In my case, the dropping tire simply wouldn't droop unless the stuffing tire was FORCED up. This is definitely the experience I have had, but I know others with different experiences. The difference, I believe, is in the springs. These shackles seem to work best with a pretty stiff 4 inch lift spring. With this type of setup, the tire will still have to be forced down. I think (my opinion only) that with softer springs what happens is that the tire has a tendency to droop too easily. All I can tell you for sure is that with my 4 inch procomp springs I DID have USEFUL articulation. If you are really interested in how they work with softer springs, ask me again in 2 months. I'm going SOA, and I will try to revolvers with it SOA at first, and remove them if I don't like them that way.

Keep in mind that you will probably need new shocks, longer brake lines, etc etc, and that it took me a lot of playing around to get shock length and everything correct. I also cut off the spring clamps on my springs.

The reason I am going SOA is because I still want more flex. The revolvers really helped, but due to the stiffness of my springs when the rear flexes it deflects the hinged part of the shackle so much it won't unhinge. Plus ground clearance, blah blah blah. I may go with a combination - revolvers in the front, regular shackles in the back or vice versa. I found they work really well in the front. I'm just going to do what I always do, and f#@! with it till it works!

Overall I'd say they are a useful addition to a SUA jeep that wants more articulation without sacraficing road manners, and an owner who wants low effort upgrades. The guys doing SOA or whatever to get the nth degree of flex are going to be able to tune their rigs better without them, but if you have a SUA lift, don't want to lose that investment (by going SOA), and are looking for a bolt on articulation gain (keeping in mind you'll have to bolt on new shocks and brake lines, too), this is one way of doing that. Yes, they might unhinge blasting up steep inclines, but I'm guessing the type of guy described in the preceding sentence isn't going to find himself in that situation too often.

got to http://www.chadlloyd.rockcrawler.com/Jeep.html for some more tech details about my experiences with them.

Anyway, let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

Chad

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My experience is:
revolvers on front--$155--help articulate much better--havent' had one problem with them. No opening up problems, etc.

Hypershackles on rear--no problem--help articulate much better. I think the twisting action of the revolver helps articulation and may make them better than the hypershackle because this probably helps save your bushings and springs from wear and tear.
But the hypershackle looks much stronger.

I'd say get them!!

FOR SALE: D35, 4.11, posi.
John-89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal, swaybar/tracbar disconnects,SYE,cv shaft,4.11,locked frontD30,rocklock,need ford 8.8 soon,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode