OT - Need a daily pavement-pounder. Opinions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT - Need a daily pavement-pounder. Opinions?

OK guys. I know you all don't drive your Jeeps daily, judging by some of those pics that I see you post. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I have been driving the YJ daily for the last 7 years, and the ford pickup as well when needed. I've got a new job doing a lot of highway, and neither vehicle does that well. (My winter tires on the YJ are worn 31s, and with 4.10s and the automatic she tops out at about 65 revving like mad, and the big F250 is like driving a tank everyday.) This way I can also lock up the YJ and not have to worry about driving it in the winter.

I'm considering another vehicle to take care of that need. My friends all drive Volkswagens, and I'm considering a Golf / GTI in the 89-94 or so range. They seem plentiful, chep on the used market, and not too bad to look at (as opposed to a honda civic 4 door, anyway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]).

Anyone got any ideas on how reliable these things are? My friends have Jettas, but I am simply against a 4-door. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Or, any other daily buzz-boxes you guys like and would recommend?

Thanks for the help, and sorry to be off-topic. Hope you guys don't mind too much. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

88 YJ-retiring to trails soon
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
??? pavement-pounder for work/school - opinions wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:27 PM

Re: OT - Need a daily pavement-pounder. Opinions?

I think the Golf would be a good choice (just don't end up turning *that* into a hobby as well) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

They're reliable, good performers, decent gas mileage, plenty of aftermarket support for new, used, replacement, upgrade, and performance parts at decent prices. I've run across quite a few Jeepers who also have a V-dub on the side (I used to have a Rabbit Convertible too...had almost as much fun in that as my Jeeps). If I weren't married with a kid, I'd buy one and hop it up a bit and use it for my daily driver.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stay away from VW if you're looking for reliability. The only reliable VW is a bug. I had in my college days 6 different water cooled vw's (scirrocco, gti, and fox's.) They are all ridiculous expensive for parts and are about as reliable as my sister.

I am looking at buying a new ford focus zx3 for commuting. You can get these cars totally loaded with every option they make for 14k. The warranty is 5/50 and you can get 4 door sedan or 2 door hatchback's.

Just my .02 I still have a 16v wolfsburg edition scirrocco with all the neuspeed racing suspension my pocket book could handle at the time, sitting in my mother's driveway were it has been for 4 years after my 3rd Transmission cracked the case and sent the fan into the radiator. All GTI and Scirrocco's from the late 80's early 90's have a tranny mount that is designed for a much less torquey motor and they bust at the drop of a hat then you need a whole new section of case for the tranny because the damn things are made into the case.

84 cj7 Laredo Superior 1 piece, more to come.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are looking for cheap and reliable then you can't go wrong with Honda. The reason that everyone has one is just the reason to pick one up used. Just remember to treat it to regular oil changes and service like it should be and it will literally last forever. The timing belt is like $50 and it needs to be replaced like every 60K, other than that they are solid as a tank. A used Acura Legend sure would be a nice commuter(made by Honda).

I would steer away from most any European car for a economy daily driver. They think too much of their replacement parts.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to agree with 4X4FVR I have had very bad luck with water cooled VWs. A second idea is to look around any retirement communities in your area some times when people get to old to drive you can get some good deals. I bought a 1979 Ford fairmonte with only 40600 original miles on it that way and only paid $1600 for it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey, thanks guys! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've considered Honda, but I really like the looks of the VW better. I know guys who drive Hondas and they are reliable also, but I've known people with VWs and they have been reliable for them.

I will likely go drive a bunch of different things before jumping, and also compare prices of things like starters and alternators at the local auto parts places. I can't imagine a part for an Acura whatever would be that much less than a VW.

Thanks again!
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

88 YJ-retiring to trails soon
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
??? pavement-pounder for work/school - opinions wanted.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

spend some time at the different boards at www.allexperts.com they have a board for most every make or car and you can really get a feel of what has a lot of problems

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4X4FVR seems like he's got it right IMHO.

I've run a Honda over 300K with only oil changes and lubes, an alternator, timing belts, and brake parts, plus tires and like that. It was still running when my daughter junked it in Portland, Oregon, because the brakes failed and her boyfriend didn't have the aptitude to fix them.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.</font color=blue>
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.

http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 05:06 PM
joeybcdt

We run a Nissan pick up at work. We've had three in the last 8 years. About 300 miles/day. Very economical. It's about the only small rear wheel drive available any more (easier to wrench on and a lot less to go wrong).

I'd also consider a Toyota pickup. No Mazda.

Joey

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 05:46 PM
I Do This For The Glory

No Mazda? I like my Mazda, heck of a decent vehicle.

We have owned exactly 2 VW's, and both had problems. Every one I have ever seen is also quirky as hell. I stay away from them now. A friend got 460,000 miles out of his Jetta, why not one of them? Who cares about looks, you need reliability. A friend just got a diesel Jetta for $1,000, gets 35 mpg.

Honda's are nice, longevity is good, as is the ride, but parts can get pricey. Up here people run Saabs, expensive sounding name, but they're actually cheap to run, moreso than the Honda's.

You've got the right idea about looking up parts. Look up starters, CV shafts, and exhaust parts. Don't forget the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air filter, and timing belt. Check out the electrical system, it's trhe hardest to diagnose and the most expensive to fix.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode