OT - But really worth reading - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT - But really worth reading

This came from a longer post on another BBS, but it was so funny I had to read it in stages because I was laughing so hard.

From the state that gave us Bill C., this is supposed to be true. It came from a group of tales that were nominated for the Y2K Darwin award. This particular one oddly enough was only an honorable mention.

"[Arkansas Democrat Gazette] Two local men were seriously injured when their pick-up truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday.

Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc and Billy Ray Wallis,38, of Little Rock are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical Center. The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog gigging trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pick-up truck headlights malfunctioned.

The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded on east-bound toward the White River bridge.

After traveling approximately twenty miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved, exited the pavement and struck a tree.

Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident, but will require surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. "Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls off or we might both be dead," stated Wallis. "I've been a trooper for ten years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this accident happened," said Snyder.

Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's wife asked how many frogs the boys had caught and did anyone get them from the truck."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:08 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: OT - But really worth reading

I read this a few years ago on the old BBS, I think it was 1996 or 1997.

During that time, I was working at an Industrial Hazardous Groundwater Remediation site, with lots of blowers, thermal oxidizers, and pneumatic equipment. Well, we kept losing a particular set of main fuses due to dirty power. These fuses were also $80 each, 3 of them required due to the 3-phase power. Well, one of the bigwigs was there and we blew another set. I told him of how we kept losing them, and he asked if there was anything different we could use that wasn't so costly. I told him, "Sure, I have some 12 Gauge shotgun shells that will work, they're about the right size". He looked at me a little strange, then asked "How much cheaper are they than the current fuses?". Once I showed him the article, and expained what happened (he was from MA), he chuckled.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've heard versions of the same story for years. Not sure now what is true or not. I've also heard about a photographer that put a .22 shell in his pocket with a 9-volt battery and recieved shrapnel wounds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 01:55 PM
Way Outta Control

Though it's a great story, it's an urban (rural?) tale. The story aslo showed up on the Darwin Awards site and was debunked there. But I wish it true... time wounds all Heels and heals all wounds.

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought that I had remembered this story from years ago, but it was so funny - true or not - that I couldn't even see my computer screen for a while 'cause I was laughing so hard.

Anyway, hope it's good for laughs for others too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode