NEED COMMENTS-Have D30 Front Axle Disconnect idea - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 08:42 AM
Robert87yj

NEED COMMENTS-Have D30 Front Axle Disconnect idea

I lost the vacume on my disconnect, front d30 axle on my YJ again[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. The tubes just get old an crack. It is becomming a pain to keep replacing the tubes and suchwhen they get old or torn off. I took the vacume mechanisim out of the front axle to make sure that it still worked. I sat there playing with it and came up with an idea:

Why not go to a drug store and get a large, plastic syringe, one of the ones used to irrigate and put that on the end of a vacume tube connected to the vacume motor that shifts the front axle into 4wd. I'd connect the tube from the syringe to the vacume connection in the middle to push/pull the motor in and out of 4WD. The one on the end would have to be connected to a tube that went back up and was vented at the top. The vacume connection closest to the motor would go to a different vacume/electrical switch that would be wired into the 4WD indicator light on the dash. The syringe could be mounted under the dash or on the xfer case shift lever.

This seemed to be a good idea and replacement parts would be cheap[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. What do you guys think?

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 10:40 AM
Veteran

Re: NEED COMMENTS-Have D30 Front Axle Disconnect idea

Actually, I would suggest a mechanical shift method. You get a bicycle shifter cable setup (or the choke cable from a part store) and rig it up to the shift motor itself. You need to take the diaframe housing apart to tap one end for the cable to go through and to attach the cable end to the diaframe. Reassamble and route the cable where you want it. Voila, poor man Posi-Lock.

'91 YJ, I-6, 3" lift, 31s
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the rocklock (posi lock). Works great--took 1 hour to install, cost $199
No more worries.

FOR SALE: D35, 4.11, posi.
John-89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal, swaybar/tracbar disconnects,SYE,cv shaft,4.11,locked frontD30,rocklock,need ford 8.8 soon,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 02:20 PM

I don't think it would be practical. First, the disconnect system needs to have applied vacuum in both 2wd and 4wd modes. Second, the syringe cannot provide the constant suction that the Jeep's engine does. Your idea might have had an emergency application but upon reflection if you have the vac tubing to reach into the passenger cabin, you would have enough to repair the broken lines.

I don't think there is a 100% bulletproof solution to this problem. As you know, maintenance is a constant, on going process with all mechanical devices. even a cable actuated system can fail.

I don't fault you for brainstorming....Good Luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 07:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just used the existing vacume port on the maniforld to supply vaccume to the motor and a fish aquarium 3 way valve to dirrect vaccume to one side of the motor or the other. I got the vaccume hose from Autozone. Used about 10 feet.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 07:51 PM

Or...bypass the disconeect altogether by sticking in a passenger-side axleshaft from a XJ Cherokee front D-30. This is a one-piece shaft and will cost you a little bit in gas mileage and cause a little more wear on that front differential, but it is reliable as an anvil.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 08:17 PM

The 3 way valve idea sounds interesting....I toyed with the idea of using certain pneumatic HVAC controls and a repipe of the vac disconnect system in order to get a 2wd low range mode on my XJ. I never went ahead and installed it, though, I found that I really didn't need 2wd low range for the type of off roading I do.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In addition, not all XJs have the non disconnect axle. In fact a large amount of them have the identical axle to the YJ.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 08:46 PM
Robert87yj

wow, that three way valve sounds good[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. I just went all over town looking for a 60cc irrigating syringe and no one had one. The only place that said they could get one was petsmart and they wanted over $10. I could order one online for $1.50 and pay $7 shipping and handling and have it in a week, which is the time the pet store quoted me. Thanks for the tip...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I'll pick one up tomorrow and some tubing and give it a shot.

Thanks,

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 09:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

how does the xj axle seal? Sounds like a good mod.

Jeepjohn
It's not what you bought,
it's what you built and
what you do with it!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I have some 50cc or 60cc feeding syringes at work. Maybe I could be persuaded to donate one for such a good cause. Let me know and I will look.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode